Friday, December 18, 2015

Something is really strange about this Christmas.

I went to Walmart today - on purpose - and had to wait 10 or 15 minutes in line at the checkout counter and it didn't bother me one bit. I even chatted up the cashier. Even when I couldn't find a couple of items, I drove to another store and found exactly what I was looking for. I got home cool, calm and collected.

When I put up our real Christmas tree this week, it went up on the first try, straight and sturdy. It took all of 10 minutes - a record for me, I'm sure. No naughty words were spoken that might have got me stricken off Santa's list.

What I don't get done today, I'll do it tomorrow. Sure, Christmas is just a  week away; what, me worry? Where is my usual Christmas panic, frustration, impatience, and stress?

Hold me, I'm scared!

The Advent/Christmas season as always been a restless, uneasy time for me. But my retirement seems to be giving me a fresh perspective this year. I am discovering a different pace and therefore enjoying the time I have to prepare for Christmas. It's not a preparation with any anxious urgency, but rather, a preparation that is marinating in peace and joy. I am anticipating Christmas Day, rather than harboring feelings of being relieved when it will all be over.

"Peace, I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as  the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid," (John 14:27).

Strange as that sounds, it's beginning to make sense, this Christmas.

Dale
















No comments:

Post a Comment