Wednesday, March 16, 2016


LENT 2016 – GOING TO JERUSALEM
Wednesday, March 16

Peter’s Denial Foretold: Matthew 26: 31 - 35

            Put me in the game, coach, I am ready!  

I have had days like chest-y Peter, when I thought that I could take on the world. Nothing could stop me.  I was confident that I could face adversity and challenges with courage and boldness. Nothing was going to stop me from being successful, victorious, faithful and prove my worth in Jesus’ eyes.

Bring it on - I can take it!  Just watch me!  

Me and Jesus, up against the world! Just like Batman and Robin. The bad guys don’t stand a chance.

“Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.”

Then the hard truth of reality settles in.

Somebody pushes back – hard! Somebody doesn’t care what I think. Somebody has more power or influence than I do. Somebody really dislikes me. Somebody dashes my eager plans. Somebody refuses to do what I say. Somebody criticizes me. Somebody tells me to mind my own business. Somebody thinks I am pushy, belligerent, confrontational and wishes that I would just go away, and leave them alone.

I fall back. I push away. I stagger. I fall. I get up and run away. I hide and cower.  

Sorry, Jesus, (if that is your name), you are on your own.

“Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.”

How did you know, Jesus? How did you know that I am really a coward at heart? How did you know that I never finish anything I start? How did you know that I am all talk and no action?

Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man. (Luke 5:8)

Look, Jesus, I will get back to you when all this blows over. See you then.

Is that a rooster warming up, just off stage?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment