Wednesday, August 10, 2016


Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Look out world! Entering life’s arena, on August 6th, weighing in at 9 lbs and 7 ounces (heavy-weight championship material), cute as a button, head full of black hair, is the newest family edition – Spencer Albert Costa. He’s the first child for Gary and Katie and our 3rd grandson. Heaven help us all when in a few years the three boys, William, Henry and Spencer, are conspiring some unholy mischief together.

Birth is a wondrous miracle. As I held my grandson for the first time this week, the psalmist’s word came to mind. “Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvellously made! I worship in adoration - what a creation!  You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; you know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day,” (Psalm 139:13-16, The Message).

Would that every child be treated with the blessing and respect that these words imply. Would that every child be wanted, loved, nurtured, kept safe, encouraged, taught well, given solid and good values to live by, and given every God-given opportunity to discover who they are and what levels they may someday achieve.  I think of the way Luke described Jesus’ developmental years: “And Jesus matured, growing up in both body and spirit, blessed by both God and people,” (Luke 2: 52, The Message). Not bad for a kid born in a stable!

As we watch the Olympics this week, front and centre are those parents who totally committed themselves to help their son or daughter reach this high level of competition in their respective sports. Long practices, early mornings, long travel trips, the financial cost and sacrifices, consoling them through loss and failure, cheering them on to success. Of course, not every child is going to grow up into an Olympic athlete, but every child should experience the same level of parental commitment and love to watch their child grow, thrive and realize their specific and unique potential.

Parenting never comes with an instruction manual. Sometimes, a parent is flying by the seat of their pants. Sometimes it is trial and error.  Always it is learning by experience. But as long as parents and we as grandparents are committed to the optimum welfare of our children and grandchildren, it increases the likelihood that they are going to turn out (eventually) just fine.

“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it,” (Proverbs 22:6, NIV).

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment