Wednesday, February 1, 2017


Wednesday, February 1, 2017
                Despite taking World Religions in University over 40 years ago, to say that I understand Islam would be a gross exaggeration.  I have read little bits of the Koran but never the whole thing. What I think I know about Islam doesn’t appeal to me, personally, but faith is not about what simply appeals, but where one finds true inner and spiritual strength to face the day. To that end and in light of the few wonderful Muslims whom I have met over the years, I have great respect for them. Day by day, they are no different than any of us.

                But I do know the Bible and I do know Christianity, and best of all I try to know and then follow Jesus Christ. What has happened in Montreal especially but the rising prejudice in the world would, I’m  sure, offend my Lord greatly. Therefore, it should and must offend any one who asserts that he or she is a follower of Jesus. It must pain the One who so loved the world that some Christians affirm, maybe not the violence, but the rhetoric and biases against Muslim people.

                Why do I say that Jesus would be imploring love, tolerance and generous  hospitality in this conflicted, angry and judgmental day and age?

                Well, first of all, Jesus was a Jew and his beliefs were anchored in what we call the Old Testament. And yes, there is a lot of xenophobic, judgmental commentary in the Bible but, at its best, the community was told to welcome the alien into their neighbourhoods. “You shall not oppress a resident alien; you know the heart of an alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt,” (Exodus 23:9). In fact, I would argue that the Kingdom Vision is not one of exclusion but inclusion.  For as the earth brings forth its shoots, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to spring up, so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations,” (Isaiah 62:11). The need for brevity does not permit me to explore this further, but it is very easy to find this critical thread of diversity and inclusion in many, many sections of scriptures.

                As for Jesus himself, well, his actions speak as loud as his words, even though his actions of inclusion, acceptance and love for all got him into plenty of hot water with the fearful, narrow minded, religious crowd of his day. But he preached and then lived out the meaning of loving one’s enemies. "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I say to you, ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven…’” (Matthew 5: 43 – 45). He didn’t say anything about this love being easy, safe, comfortable, convenient, reciprocated, or rewarded immediately. In fact, you’re being persecuted. But I think he believed that such love, if practiced consistently, thoroughly, thoughtfully, intentionally, ceaselessly, generously and repeatedly might actually and eventually help contribute to the building of his Kingdom, “for the healing of the nations,” (Revelation 22:2).

                Such a love as Jesus had for every one was met with violence. He had reached out to Jew and Gentile alike, to enemies like the Romans and had walked among the hated Samaritans. He gathered tax collectors and prostitutes. He loved children. He treated women with respect. He touched lepers who were ostracized from society. But, in part, it got him killed and murdered by the respectable and the decent and by those in power. Jesus would abhor the evil, sinful, terrorist acts of Muslim or Christian or government or nation. But he would not abandon the victims of these deplorable actions.

                It was deeply moving to see the picture of Pope Francis washing the feet of Muslims this past week. It was symbolic of what Christianity should look like and how it should be practiced by us each and every day.

                “The Son of Man will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation.  And here's why: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.'  Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me - you did it to me.' Then he will turn to the 'goats,' the ones on his left, and say, 'Get out, worthless goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell,” (Matthew 25: 31 – 42, The Message).    

And if that doesn’t make you stop and think in this Trumped-up world of ours, nothing will!


Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment