Wednesday, June 14, 2017


Wednesday, June 14, 2017
                Although it seems strange to put into words, I am facing a world today without my mother. Our mom passed away – rather suddenly – on Monday. Carol Soble was in her 95th year. One knew this day was coming, sooner than later, but I grapple for words now that she has left us. I’ll need to find those words when I speak at her funeral on Friday.  You know that old joke asking where were you born? Reply: In the hospital; I wanted to be near my mother. Well, Mom has been a critical part of the lives of my older siblings and myself for our lifetimes. She was a hard woman to get away from!

                When your parents are gone (Dad has been gone for over 30 years), one becomes aware that the generational cycle bumps up a notch. We’re the oldest in the family now. We are supposed to be the sage voices of experience and wisdom. We are the grandparents who go and visit our adult children and attend the concerts, graduations, and birthdays of our grandchildren. We are the ones who travel for Christmas.  We are the ones who scratch our heads about young people and whether the world is a safe place for them. We are the ones who have to ask our adult children for help when the technology is too complex or there is furniture to lift. We are the ones about whom the kids mutter and shake their heads and worry about our health and sanity. “Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures; yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away,” (Psalm 90:10).

                The one thing about retirement has been to have the time to really savour the time that I am living.  “Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, so that we may rejoice and be glad all our days,” (Psalm 90:14). I may not be skydiving, climbing Mount Everest, learning Chinese, riding a motorcycle across Canada, leaping tall buildings in a single bound, but I am discovering a new side of joy, hope, satisfaction, peace, patience, and appreciation in an abundance of small things. It can be the sight of chickadees playing in the tree in our front yard. It may be in the smile of a grandson. It may be sitting in the same room with Susan, she watching TV and me watching baseball on the computer. It may be having brunch with our friends, Ron and Nola. It may be in the fonder, recalled memories about Mom.

                What’s ahead? I’ve not a clue. Perhaps it is just as well that I don’t. As Jesus said, “So do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will bring worries of its own,” (Matthew 5:34). Today, the sun is shining; it is a beautiful day. The coffee is hot. There is nothing too pressing on my calendar today, aside writing this which I enjoy doing. Kramer, one of our dogs wants out, and that just may be my exercise for the day. I may choose to seize the day, carpe diem and all that, but I don’t need to strangle it to death.

                “And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, ‘Today - at the latest, tomorrow - we're off to such and such a city for the year. We're going to start a business and make a lot of money.’ You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing.  Instead, make it a habit to say, ‘If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that.’” (James 4: 13 – 15)

                Lord willing and the creek don’t rise!


Dale


No comments:

Post a Comment