Wednesday, August 30, 2017


Wednesday, August 30, 2017


                “Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding…” (Proverbs 3:13)

                As the NASA satellite Cassini crashes into Saturn this week (why must we spread our garbage to other planets?), Susan reminded me that our oldest son, Nicholas, did a Grade 2 project on Cassini when it launched from earth in 1997.  Nick’s oldest, William, enters Junior Kindergarten this Fall. I wonder what wondrous things he will learn as he begins his long trek through school.

The only space I was interested in when I was in grade two was the space between my ears. It boggles my mind what they learn so early nowadays.

Did you enjoy your years in school? I was okay with elementary school. But I hated a high school. Peer pressure. Gym classes. Homework. Gym classes.  Mathematics.  French. Gym classes. Exams. We had to take Latin for three years. I enjoyed English and History. That was about it. And Music wasn’t bad. But as for the rest of it, it was five long, torturous years, but I made it.

Did I mention gym classes? For the life of me, even to this day, the gym curriculum baffles me – wrestling, gymnastics, track and field, rope climbing. “You want me to take this long pole, run as fast as as I can and stick the end into that tiny little hole and do what?!!!”  Teach me something that I might actually use for exercise when I am out in the real world.

I didn’t enjoy learning until I got to university. Then I thrived and hungered for knowledge, understanding, information, ideas, concepts, philosophies, and I enjoyed having the freedom to learn and study subjects that interested me and captured my imagination.

Having facts, figures, information, or even knowledge doesn’t necessarily give us wisdom. Like Linus once said in a Peanuts cartoon, “I am never so stupid as when I trying to be smart.” There is, ironically, wisdom in that statement.

The book of Proverbs gives a lot of space to the concept of wisdom. It is an integral part of Creation, very near to the heart, mind and spirit of God, himself. But it is not so heavenly bound so as to be no earthly good. Quite the opposite. Wisdom is a gracious gift given to us for “sound judgment and discretion” (Proverbs 3:21). Wisdom leads us along straight paths and leads to good, sound, upright living. “Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you,” (Proverbs 4: 11)

The opposite of wisdom seems to be foolishness. “A fool finds pleasure in wicked schemes, but a person of understanding delights in wisdom,” (Proverbs 10:23). The foolish seem inclined to pride, insincerity, immorality, hatred, smugness, mockery, idleness and ignorant talk. “The folly of fools is deception,” (Proverbs 14:8).

A wise person knows when to speak and when to be quiet. It leads to patience, humility, fulfilment, joy, well-being (shalom), and possibility.

“Know also that wisdom is like honey for you: If you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off,” (Proverbs 24;14).

Wisdom probably cannot be taught in a classroom.  It comes from experience, having an open mind and heart, being vulnerable to correction, being able to grow, being imaginative, being flexible and willing to change as the world changes around us. None of us should ever stop learning, to contemplate the world around us, to explore new ideas, to gain insight, understanding, and then to deepen our consideration and expression of love, grace and mercy in a hurting world. Wisdom is about making a critical difference.

“How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!” (Proverbs 16:16).

Why didn’t they teach that in gym class?


Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment