Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wednesday, October 11, 2012

         Thanksgiving has always been one of my favourite celebrations. Although it was unseasonably warm this year often it has been cool and comfortable, just right for autumn walks under the changing foliage. Then when you come back into the house you smell the cooking turkey or the aroma of pumpkin pies or other savory smells.  Then the  very best part is when the family gathers around the groaning board of  a Thanksgiving Feast and the laughter, love and general mayhem begins.
          Susan and I celebrated Thanksgiving in Mississauga with Nick and Erin hosting. Erin organized and prepared  a fantastic meal. Our three grandchildren added to the merriment and joy of the occasion. Once again we gathered, broke bread and counted our many blessings. Susan and  are richly and abundantly blessed by all four of our children, their partners and grandchildren.
           "We will be satisfied by the goodness of your house..."  This verse comes from a psalm of thanksgiving, Psalm 65.
            I think we live in culture in which it has become very difficult to be simply satisfied with what we are given.  Some folk are never satisfied about their lives, their loved ones, their jobs, their  families, their physical looks, their salary, their church, their friends, their health, their well-being. Some argue that we live in an age of entitlement, and if that is true, I can just about guarantee that people who feel entitled will seldom, if ever, feel fully satisfied. I suppose it would be easy to think of all things that I don't have in my life, feel sorry for myself, complain and be bitter, blame God or somebody else  for these deficiencies.
            But that is when I stop and look around the table and experience the feeling of satisfaction of our house and am very grateful to God for the love that I am privileged to share right there and then.  I wouldn't trade it for anything - not even for the Ottawa Senators winning the Stanley Cup.
             To keep it short, sweet and simple:
             "I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess - happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am," (Philippians 4: 10:13, The Message).
             Belated Happy Thanksgiving! But actually, it is never too late to be thankful!

Dale 




No comments:

Post a Comment