Wednesday, December 13, 2017


Wednesday, December 13, 2017

 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (John 15: 9 – 11)

                
                Joy fills the third Sunday of Advent with its enthusiasm for new life and its fulsome, creative gift of pure happiness in the light of God’s Love.

What might make you so wonderfully, completely, utterly happy? So happy that you think that you are going to burst. So happy that there is nothing else that you could possibly hope for. So happy that the smile on your face says it all. So happy that your joy knows no bounds.

                Susan has asked me what I would like for Christmas. I am having a hard time coming up with any sort of substantive list. I used to joke that I wanted a road race set – but she actually got me one last year. How cool is that! Now I like getting Christmas gifts as much as the next person but what fills me with real happiness more than anything is the anticipation of being with our family on Christmas Day, especially our three little grandsons. I am sure that I will sit in the middle of the festive merriment with a smile on my face and have a sense that life is good, very good.

                Maybe we can understand Jesus’ words in light of this. Under the banner of Jesus, the Father has gathered his family together with love.  This unique and special bond between Jesus and his Father encompasses the rest of the human family.  Experiencing this Love has the benefit of gifting us with such utter joy because it is so freely, generously, openly given. It is not dependent on material things or possessions. This joy does not depend on what others should be doing for you or me.  This joy does not rely on having the most toys. This joy does not trust in power, superficial pleasures, or worldly appetites.

                This God-gifted Joy is the satisfaction that as a child of God you are loved, no matter what; no matter how messed up things might be right now; no matter how unhappy life’s circumstances are trying to make you; no matter how sad and fearful you may be. “You will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy... no one will take your joy from you.” (John 16:20, 22)  Why? Because God abounds in his Love for you.

                I think this mood and spirit of joy is captured very well by Jesus’ beatitudes in Matthew’s Gospel. When God loves us, the joyful outcomes surpass all our expectations:

                "You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. 
"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are - no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat. 
"You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'carefull,' you find yourselves cared for. 
"You're blessed when you get your inside world - your mind and heart - put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.
"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family.
 "You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom. 
"Not only that - count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable.” (Matthew 5: 3 – 12)
                Rejoice, Jesus says. Rejoice and be glad! God has your back!

                “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.” (Luke 2: 10, The Message Bible)
Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment