Wednesday, January 24, 2018


Wednesday, January 24, 2018


“Therefore, consider whether the light in you is not darkness.” (Luke 11:35) 

                The corner of the living room has seemed a little dark ever since we took down the Christmas tree that once filled that corner with its light. I had found it very peaceful and contemplative to sit, every evening after supper, in the dimmed-down living room and watch the changing array of lights on the tree. For an hour or so I would sit there and shut out the crazy news I had just watched on TV. No music, no reading, no noise, just me and the tree and my favourite beverage in hand.

                Somehow it does not feel quite the same to sit there without the lights. It becomes just a darkened room. Heaven knows that there is more than enough darkness in the world right now. So, instead of the Christmas tree, now safely tucked away in the closet until next year, I have co-opted a small, decorative “tree” of white-painted branches and twigs covered in white mini-lights that one of our daughters left behind some time ago. It shines very nicely in the corner and I can go back to my post-news reveries.

                It is not a bible verse although it sounds like it could be one but I have always found strength in the Chinese proverb, “It is better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness.” Mind you the Bible has its own comprehensive expressions about the power and influence of lights and lamps, not the least being Jesus who said to us “I am the Light of the world.”

                Some of you will remember the children’s hymn, Jesus Bids Us Shine: “Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light, Like a little candle burning in the night; In this world of darkness we must shine, You in your small corner and I in mine.” (Susan Warner) I am going to presume this hymn was inspired mainly by Jesus’ words, “You are the light of the world.”

I am intrigued by The Message Bible’s spin on the whole text:  "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.  If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand - shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.”  (Matthew 5: 14 -16)

Now look, we all have days in which we may feel more like a candle in the wind than a torch bearer. We flicker, we sputter, our spiritual wicks seem short and about to drown in life’s waxy problems. But it may also be that your determination, faith, hope, joy, love, patience, endurance during the dark times make your light shine not only for yourself but for others around you. Another old Sunday School song pops into my head – Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

Go out and brighten up somebody’s day; it’ll probably also brighten your own. Go out and reflect the Light of the words, works and compassion of Jesus. Go out and walk on the sunny side of the street and lighten the load of others who find the world a very dark place. Go out and be a pure clear light, you in your small corner and I will try to do the same in mine.

“The human spirit is the lamp of the Lord, searching every inmost part.” (Proverbs 20:27) 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment