Wednesday, March 7, 2018


Wednesday, March 7, 2018 

“…the measure you give will be the measure you get…” (Mark 4:24) 

                Well, Lord, here we are – half way through the Lenten season.

                I started out on Ash Wednesday with all sorts of good intentions – to be more intentional when it comes to my spiritual well-being; more honest about myself; more devoted to you; more conscious of my weaknesses and vulnerabilities; less materialistic, less selfish, less judgmental – you know all the stuff which I should and could be working on.

                But baseball spring training has started and you know how much I love baseball.

                We’re waiting on the news of the arrival of our new grandchild and you know how much I love my grandkids.

                I have started another 2000-piece jig saw and you know how much time that takes up.

                It’s another gloomy day and you know that I don’t do well on gloomy days.

                I’ve got some time before Good Friday and Easter. I’ll try to catch up on my Lenten disciplines. I didn’t really promise all that much anyway when I started. How hard could it be?

                Half way through Lent – half measures! If that!

                How easy it becomes to give half measures in the following of Jesus Christ. It is not something which comes naturally. I, like most, really don’t want to pick up my cross of faith and walk with him as far as Jerusalem. I think I’ll wait here and see how it goes.

                Imagine the consequences if Jesus had given up half way; if Jesus had had simply said that he had tried his minimum best and had made his point and it wasn’t his fault if the folk didn’t get his message or his ways. Packed up his sandals and hitched up his robe and went home. Dispersed his disciples back to their fishing nets and tax tables. Thanks boys; maybe next time.

                Half measures don’t cut it! Living up to the least that God expects of me doesn’t measure up.

                There is a Jesus’ story about two people who wanted to become new recruits to the Jesus’ Way. They were very eager at first, “I will follow you wherever you go.” (Luke 9:57) Jesus invited them to follow. But immediately they began to put other priorities first and set conditions and thereby added delays to their followership. Their reasons sound quite, well, reasonable. A funeral of a loved one to attend. Wanting to say good bye to his family and explain what he was doling. Jesus didn’t necessarily refuse them, but he did seize the moment to teach. "No procrastination. No backward looks. You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day." (Luke 9: 62 The Message)

                Half way through Lent and I am wondering how I am measuring up.

                “Correct me, O Lord, but in just measure; not in your anger, or you will bring me to nothing.” (Jeremiah 10:24)

                Now there is a sobering thought! 

Dale

               

No comments:

Post a Comment