Wednesday, August 1, 2018


Wednesday, August 1, 2018 

“There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?” (John 14:2, New Living Translation) 

                If and when I get to “paradise” I hope and pray that it will be much like the beautiful lake house that we just enjoyed for three weeks on the shores of Lake Erie, just outside Leamington, Ontario. If I am going to spend eternity, somewhere, I want a big spacious house with all the amenities you need or want, generous hospitality such as our renter gave us, a large deck that you could have held square dances on it, a lake view that went on for ever into the horizon, a monstrous Muskoka chair to while away the time in, a good book or two,  birds to watch, sailboats, favourite beverage in one hand and a cigar in the other – now that is what I call heaven.

                If God needs a bass for the choir or I am due for my harp lessons, then I will pull myself away. I will do my fair share of guardian angel duty. I just hope the neighbours don’t throw any wild, late night parties. But you know how those angels are, once they hear of one soul being saved – they become quite the party animals.

                We can all become quite imaginative about the mystery of life-after-death. Reunion with loved ones. Enjoyment of favourite past times.  Rediscovering our favourite pets.  The creative genius behind the letter of Revelation casts his vision of the final Kingdom being festooned with precious gems (Revelation 21:19). Sounds nice enough, but I will take my lake house, thank you just the same.

                Whatever the New Reality may be, it promises New Life in ways which we can’t begin to imagine. But it remains an utterly sacred mystery.

Eternity, if measured only by time, might seem like a long, boring, monotonous existence to some. But I expect eternity to be more of a qualitative existence.  It will be a New Life shaped by God’s Love, but I am anticipating there may be new opportunities, new challenges, new possibilities, fresh discoveries that fill those “days” of eternity with joy, peace, love, awareness, growth, health, and new initiatives.  Perhaps, in God’s own mysterious ways, time stands still and every moment, in and of itself, is a precious, fulfilling, challenging, generous experience of God’s Love.

                I like the way that the New Living Translation has rendered the verse from John’s Gospel. Many of you are more familiar with the words, “In my Father’s mansion are many rooms…” But the NLT translation expresses, appropriately, the largesse  of God’s Love in welcoming his sons of Adam and daughters of Eve back into his gracious fellowship.

                Our Leamington lake house was big enough that we were able to host all our adult children and grandchildren at one time or another during our three weeks. This family reunion just added to our enjoyment and pleasure of our stay. We all pitched in, got meals together, and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company in this beautiful spot. We all had enough room.

                “There is more than enough room,” Jesus said. Jesus sees through all that separates us from God, our loving, heavenly Father.  “Instead God is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”  (2 Peter 3:9, NIV) There is plenty of room within the embrace of God. I am not a big fan of those small-minded Christians who arrogantly think that they know who gets into heaven and who gets the door slammed in their face. (All I can say is that I hope those sorts of folk are on the far other shore of the celestial lake I’m on!) Only God knows that for sure and, for now, God is wanting us all back in his family and fold, giving everyone an opportunity to enjoy his Grace.

                And if you get to heaven before I do, please save me a seat on the deck. 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment