Wednesday, October 16, 2019


Wednesday, October 16, 2019
“I will lead the blind by a road they do not know, by paths they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I will do, and I will not forsake them.” (Isaiah 42:16, New Living Translation)


                It is a rainy, gloomy, almost bleak, day here in Peterborough. The day began in the near-dark when I got up. Now that Thanksgiving is over, the days seem to get shorter even faster. Today’s weather seems a precursor to the dull days of November when even the colourful leaves are gone. I have put on my SAD light as I write. Even the dogs are curled up and listless. This is definitely not my favourite time of year.

                Have I brought you down now, too? Misery loves company, so they say.

                It seems too early in the season to be so thirsty for light. There is, of course, always the optimism that it will return. Tomorrow may be sunny and bright, I hope. In a few months (!) the days will get longer once again. New life blossoms out of the cold and snow – eventually. But right now, in the moment, let me just say it – bleah!

                Isaiah was speaking to a people who were walking in their own brand of darkness called Exile, forced to live as immigrants in another country, far from home and familiar customs. One might argue that they brought this misery upon themselves by their idolatry and faithlessness. Be it as that may, it was a bleah existence as expressed by Psalm 137: “How could we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?” (Psalm 137:1, NLT)

                Yet, as often is the case, God shines a new light on the situation.  It will not continue to be so dark. New hope is on the horizon.  Fresh possibilities are just around the corner.  Brighter days are coming. God speaks through his prophet to paint a picture of encouragement and inspiration. God has seen the situation that they are in and now wants to lead them out of these dark times and re-establish his light within their community and fellowship. As much as God is irritated and provoked by the people’s worship of other gods, he can’t and won’t forsake them and leave them in the dark. “I will not forsake them.”

                This a substantial commitment from God; not just wild-eyed optimism nor wishful thinking. It is a promise full of grace and confidence. It has the assurances of a loving God who, after discipline, throws his arms around his prodigal people to guide them and lead them home once again. “Even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you.” (Psalm 139:12, NLT)

                I expect that there were Jewish people of that time in that foreign space who scoffed and scorned such words. Who could blame them, really?  In general, life wasn’t very sunny at all and getting back home seemed highly unlikely.

                But to some degree, that very darkness makes the words that much more powerful and dynamic. Such words seem incredible and wondrous and daring and bold and audacious. It’s like waiting in the pitch darkness in a wilderness, lost and all alone, desperate and helpless, and then seeing a beam from a flashlight, heading your way, finding you. Someone is coming with a light to show the way out of those dire circumstances. The wielder of that light has come to save you. That light washes away your despair, fears and the darkness. What a feeling!

                So, I am reminded and  I am reminding you to trust in the Light when the roads are bumpy and there are nothing but blind corners and nothing looks too bright. God has not forsaken you or me. God has not given up in finding us. God has not  left us in the dark.  “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119: 105, NLT)


Dale      

               

No comments:

Post a Comment