Wednesday, December 4, 2019


Wednesday, December 4, 2019 – Advent Two
“Glory to God in highest heaven, and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.” (Luke 2:14, New Living Translation) 

                I enjoy Christmas music as much as the next person. But if I hear one more rendition of “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer” I am looking for a venison stew recipe on-line. One more “Frosty the Snowman” and I am making a slushy or snow-cone. No more chestnuts roasting by the fire or I am chopping down the first chestnut tree I find.

                I have been listening to the Sirius radio station, “Holly”, while I am driving. It can get quite repetitive if you drive long enough and far enough. The problem is, of course, that one particular Christmas song can be recorded by dozens and dozens of different singers and groups. They all seem to have come out with Christmas albums during their careers and all seem to record the same Christmas songs. If I hear one more “Silver Bells” I may go dingy. If one more “Blue Christmas” I may see red. If one more… well, you get the idea.

                I am also intrigued that this station “Holly” is designated as being “Christian” concerning its genre of music. Even as it mind-numbingly celebrates Santa who can’t seem ever to get to town or having a “White Christmas” which just makes Christmas travel plans a headache. Maybe, just maybe, ever once in a blue Christmas there is an actual Christian Christmas carol which directs our attention to the baby Jesus. Fa la la…

                Scrooge, move over, I need a seat.

                But as I think about it, we have heard the angels sing the Glory to God chorus how many times? Our church carols repeat the story ad infinitum. I love Aretha Franklin’s version of “Silent Night” or David Bowie and Bing Crosby sing a duet which combines “Peace on Earth” and “The Little Drummer Boy”.  Often our Christmas carols have depth of meaning and purpose about what God was doing when the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  The combination of music and words help us to remember the deep significance of the blessing of incarnation.

                Of course, there was music to celebrate Jesus’ birth. “God has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.” (Psalm 40:3). 

There is a deafening cacophony of noise and oral clutter and distracting clamour all around us. It takes a host of an angel choir to break through those fields of racket and confusion. I don’t know how many angels make up a host but I am sure that for us to hear  the message they have for us  they need to be loud, in tune, harmonious and catch our imagination.

This is Good News – how many times do we need to be told or have it sung it to us? This is Good News about God’s favour, God’s love, God’s grace, God’s peace, God’s salvation and God’s future plans for all of God’s Creation. If that doesn’t elicit a “Hallelujah” from us then what will?

 “Sing it over again to me, wonderful words of life.” 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment