Wednesday, April 1, 2020


Wednesday, April 1, 2020
“This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.” (Psalm 91:2, New Living Translation) 

                I’m free at last; thank God almighty, I am free at last.

                Two weeks ago, we arrived home from Florida. We have spent those two weeks in self-isolation and self-quarantine.  Today is our first day of freedom from this self-imposed exile from the rest of the world.  I have already been out to get some groceries and dog food. I have wiped and spritzed my hands and surfaces several times as I went along, doing my few chores. It was a bit of relief to get back home where I washed my hands all over again with soap and water.

                Actually, this two-week isolation period wasn’t really all that bad. It’s kind of how I mostly live day to day regularly anyway, somewhat reclusive.  I enjoy my privacy and solitude. A retired pastor, the Rev. Stuart Ivison, once told me when I asked him if he was lonely after his wife had passed away that no, he wasn’t lonely, “When I am by myself, I am in pretty good company.” It may sound a tad arrogant but I get it. I have always managed to amuse myself, ever since I can remember.

                I have enjoyed having Susan around and I look forward to be able to visit our adult children and grandchildren again, but solitude doesn’t affect or bother me like it may others. At least it seems easier when one is retired.  Those families with young and active children at home must be going stir crazy about now.  Extroverts and highly active adults must be climbing the walls. Workaholics are fidgety and restless. Can you imagine being stuck at home if you are in a troubled relationship? It is must be very tough on older seniors who are living by themselves or those folk with mental health issues and struggling already with social issues.  Loneliness is a by-product of Covid19.

                Nevertheless, we are fast learning that “social distancing” is becoming the new norm – “six feet” is the recommended distance. Our homes are now blessed havens and sanctuaries from the real world. People are becoming very creative and innovative as how to spend their independent “me-time”.  Thankfully, telephones are coming back in style, instead of just always text messaging. (So, pick up the phone and call someone. Remember the old Bell telephone slogan: “Reach out and touch someone.” It is virus free!)

We have so valued our many distractions, our busy schedules, our multi-tasking and the fast and furious pace of life that it is very strange and uncomfortable to slam the breaks on like this.

I am reminded that Jesus liked his alone times. He used them to reconnect spiritually to his God, his Father. To calm his mind. He prayed. He thought. He renewed his energy. “He makes me to lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.” (Psalm 23:2-3, RSV)

Community is important. But it is also healthy to be in touch with one’s own inner self, to take personal inventory, to evaluate the life-course one is pursuing, to stock up on self-care and holistic well-being. It is an ideal time to re-explore one’s roots in faith, belief, convictions, and prayer.  “But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:6, NLT) Your reward might just be realising that you have a lot to be thankful for and find the ability to enjoy being who you are and knowing that God loves you, unconditionally, no matter what.  

These are tough times, even scary times. But these times are not without their possibilities and opportunities. Self-care is not a sin, not selfish, not ego-centric per se. Jesus has told us that we are to love others as we love ourselves. It seems obvious then that we need to affirm and endorse that which makes us of strong character and having a healthy attitude about our individual selves so that we can also love and affirm others in the same way.

You in your small corner and I in mine.


Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment