Wednesday, May 6, 2020


Wednesday, May 6, 2020
“Leave here and go to Judea so that your disciples also may see the works you are doing; for no one who wants to be widely known acts in secret. If you do these things, show yourself to the world.” (John 7: 3 – 4, New Living Translation) 

                I almost feel like I am doing something naughty or mischievous.

                But what I am actually doing is just getting in my car and doing mundane errands.  Once and sometimes – horrors - twice a week I need to buy groceries, hit the drug store for prescriptions or go to the pet food a store or the vet’s for doggie pills. Sometimes, I feel very persona non grata, like when I walked into our veterinary’s clinic and the shocked clerk was so alarmed at my presence, “You can’t be in here.” So, yes, sometimes what used to be so normal has become fraught with the thrill (?) of doing something illicit or inappropriate.

                On the other hand,  as I drove to McDonald’s last week, feeling quite adventurous,  it brought to mind  those summers when I was a mere lad and I would visit my grandparents on their farm in Prince Edward County. Usually, it was for just a few days, and I really enjoyed my time with them. But the highlight was always the mid-week trip into Wellington in my Grandpa’s Austin Mini.

We would first drop off several dozens of eggs at the egg depot. Grandma would do a bit of grocery shopping at some point.  But she would often take me into the library, smelling wonderfully of old books and best of all, displaying shelves of stuffed owls and other birds.  Sometimes, she ‘d take me into the Five and Dime Store where I would spend the fifty cents which my Mom had given me on some cheap toy. Finally, the trip would be capped off when my Grandpa would buy us all ice cream cones. Then we would all bundle into the Mini and get home in time to do the afternoon chores.

Perhaps, there is a silver lining in the pandemic clouds. Whereas before, most of us have been rushing from one place to another every day, now an outing becomes special. We have to think before we act or do something outside the home.  We have to make the moment count. We are far more intentional how we use our time. We don’t tend to waste our time but used our time wisely and prudently. It can be special to get out of the house, something to savour and enjoy.

I know that some people are frustrated and even angry at the whole social distancing thing. Some are protesting the orders to stay at home. Others are very fearful and reluctant to go out at all. Some wear masks wherever they go and others take their chances, empty-faced. We are all reacting differently and there is no right way or wrong way to cope in these difficult times.

In the text above, Jesus’ brothers are urging Jesus to get out more; show himself to the world and show what he can do. John gives us his theological reasons why Jesus is reluctant to do so at this time, “It is not yet my time,” Jesus explains.  Yet, I am also reminded of Jesus’ urging of his followers to show themselves to the world, even if he has his own reasons here not to do so himself.

                “You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:  14 -16, The Message Bible)

                Make your moments count. Make the most of every opportunity. Show yourself to the world in ways that matter. Don’t be afraid. Be wise and prudent, of course, but enjoy and savour your contacts in the world around you.

                Have an ice cream cone – it’s my treat!


Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment