Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 Wednesday, April 14, 2021

“One of the men lying there had been sick for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew he had been ill for a long time, he asked him, ‘Would you like to get well?’”  (John 5: 5- 6, New Living Translation)

                 Never have I anticipated getting a needle with such unbridled joy as I am right now. But this Friday, I am getting my first Covid vaccine shot. Hallelujah! Susan will get her first shot next week. Double Hallelujah!

                Like most kids, I was always a little afraid of medical needles when I was a child. But at my age now, I have had enough surgeries, IVs, blood tests, flu shots, etc. that it no longer really bothers me although I will admit that I wish the TV news would stop showing people getting jabbed in the arm every time they have news about the vaccines.

                Some people are still wary of getting the vaccines for various reasons.  The stupidest reason is the conspiracy theory that the government is implanting some sort of tracking device or mind-controlling device. Sorry, but we already have those - they’re called cell phones and the internet. Why would the government even bother?

                Others are just being stubbornly defiant for no good reason or still in denial that the Covid pandemic is as bad as being made out to be. Some are concerned about the possible side effects but all vaccines carry a little risk, even vaccines for chicken pox, mumps and polio. But we need to get them just the same.

                Slightly adapting Jesus’ words to the man with an undisclosed illness for 38 years, I ask you: Wouldn’t you like to be well?

                It is hard to imagine what those 38 years were like for that poor soul. He was totally dependent on others for everything he needed, food, drink, shelter, being carried to the pool and hoping that someone would help him enter the healing waters at the right moment. Some might want to pat him on the back for his relentless faith in the waters for all that time, for all the good it did him. I don’t doubt for a moment that his infirmity was real, imposing a life-time burden. It would have impacted his life in a negative way continuously.

                So, it is an odd question, in some ways, which Jesus put to the man, “Do you want to be made well?” The man may have reacted accordingly. Of course, Jesus, what a foolish thing to ask. Do you think I like living like this? Do you think I have any choice? Do you think I have any alternative? But nobody is willing to help me and I remain what I am. I expect that he has become such a fixture at that pool side, he was easily ignored and forgotten.

                It makes me think that any of us can become inured to the realities of life, even if painful and unpleasant. We can get stuck in the same old paralysis of our human existence.  Not everybody, of course, maybe not all the time, but enough of us find ourselves in routines, ruts and circumstances, maybe beyond our control, through which we find ourselves persevering, enduring, even suffering, and at a loss for how to find relief.

                Jesus’ question in challenge for the man to consider a new solution because the old ones weren’t working and never had. Jesus’ question is an invitation to trust in a new alternative, which is to say trusting in Jesus. Jesus’ question reaches into the man’s heart, soul and mind and eventually his physical nature to test his true resolve to change his life. The man is out of excuses; he is out of options; he is out of new opportunities. He needs to take this one which Jesus is offering or forever be condemned to futile, pool-side living.

                This Covid pandemic has only felt like 38 years sometimes. It has affected the way we see and experience “normal”. We wonder whether life will ever be normal again. Many of us feel stuck at the pool-side of this Covid cesspool. But getting our vaccines is a ray of hope and possibility; so please, everyone, go get your vaccine when available!

                Why wouldn’t you want to be well?

 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment