Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

“Yes, and the Lord will deliver me from every evil attack and will bring me safely into his heavenly Kingdom. All glory to God forever and ever! Amen.” (2 Timothy 4:18, New Living Translation)

                 I received my second Covid vaccine shot this past Monday. They told me that in two weeks time I will be fully immunized against Covid. Strangely, I find that the most exciting thing which has happened to me recently.

But it got me to thinking about “immunity”. A dictionary definition goes like this: “resistance to, resilience to, nonsusceptibility to, lack of susceptibility to, protection from, ability to fight off, ability to withstand, ability to counteract, defenses against, immunization against, inoculation against.”

I’m sure that I feel all of that action coursing through my body right now!

Now, if they could just develop some sort of immunization against doing something stupid, saying something thoughtlessly or hurtfully, acting like a lunkhead, making mistakes, making poor decisions, acting selfishly, etc., then we may be on to a cure for the common sins of humankind.

                Even better, give me immunization against the inconsideration and rudeness of others, their insults and jibes, their pettiness and ignorance, their prejudices and judgments, their selfishness and arrogance. Now we’re talking!

                But, of course, life doesn’t work like that. We are always vulnerable to outbreaks of the ills of our society and the rashes of our own and other’s questionable behaviour. It is impossible to quarantine ourselves or protect ourselves fully from the unclean spirit of those unhealthy characteristics about how we go about living our daily lives.

                Everybody catches the effects of Sin at some point. Achoo!

                But it can be argued that the Love and Forgiveness of God goes a long way to immunize us from the long terms affects of corruptible living. The stories of Jesus’ efforts to heal the sick, the diseased and the handicapped were evidence of the sacred intent to rid people of all that which debilitates and de-humanizes lives. “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” (Mark 2:17, NLT)

                God understands how hard it is to be the kind of person you and I are supposed to be. We need a booster shot every now and then to maintain God’s standard of living. God has given us Jesus Christ as the beneficial cure for Sin, the effective remedy to counteract that which attacks the immune system of living spiritually healthy lives.

                A good dose of Christ’s example, character, strength, love, grace, forgiveness, compassion, can cure a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8)

                “Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.” (3 John, v.2, NLT)

 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment