Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked him. “Only God is truly good…” (Luke 18:19, New Living Translation)

                 Lord Dale Rodney Soble – has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

                Don’t laugh; I have the certificate to prove it. I am officially a registered landowner of a plot of land in Scotland. It was a cool, unique birthday gift from Susan. It is a clever way for the Scots to raise money to preserve their conservation areas. I even have pictures of the site from an aerial view. My certificate confers on me all the rights and privileges of a “true” Scottish Lord.

                Mind you, the plot of land is about 5 feet by 5 feet. It isn’t quite big enough for my Scottish castle but I am not allowed to build on it anyway. Nevertheless, I am now Lord of the Manor, but I shall remain ever humble.   

                But it’s hard to be modest. Family legend is that we are descendants of King Alfred on my mother’s side. (In fact, Susan has traced possible genealogy back to Alfred’s mother-in-law.) On my father’s side we have stubborn Prussian pride.  Now I am a Scottish Lord. What more can I say? Why is our 14 year old dog, Charlie, rolling his eyes? I demand a little respect. “Little” is about as much as I will get from him - as long as I feed him.

                Jesus is exemplar in his humility and modesty. He could have grasped for power as the Christ, the Messiah. He could have demanded that people worship him as the new Jewish King. He could have insisted that people lavish their praise, their respect and their adulation over him. He could have commanded obedience and allegiance. But here in our text from Luke, he shies away from even the simple recognition of being “good”. If not Jesus; then who has been or ever will be good?

                Jesus defined leadership and for that matter, goodness, in radically different ways than we might.  “But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.” (Matthew 19:30, NLT)

                When the rich young ruler came to Jesus for advice, he wasn’t prepared for the instructions which  Jesus gave him, thinking perhaps that he was rich and powerful and very religious, to boot. Instead, Jesus said to him: “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Matthew 19:21, NLT) In the parable of the man who proudly built bigger and better barns to store all his wealth, it was meaningless in the mortal end. “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.” (Luke 12:21, NLT)

                Jesus has taught us that there is no room for superiority for his followers, based on his own model of service and compassion. “Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant…” (Matthew 20:26 NLT) So many of Jesus’ parables emphasize servanthood, not elitism, not superiority over others, not pride of position or possessions.

Real  leadership is the warm, moist towel wiping tired, dirty feet. It is not the arrogant voice of the pharisaic, religious know-it-all but it is expressed in the tender voices of those who serve Jesus in soup kitchens, shelters, food banks and the like. Goodness and leadership are not a contradiction of each other but complementary. “Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning…” (Luke 12:35, NLT)

                All this makes my little plot of land In Scotland even smaller; puts my lordship into proper perspective. “If any of you wants to serve me, then follow me. Then you’ll be where I am, ready to serve at a moment’s notice. The Father will honor and reward anyone who serves me.”  (John 12:26, The Message Bible)

                But dang it – Lord Dale Rodney Soble has a nice ring to it! Sigh!

 Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment