Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Wednesday, April 13, 2022 – Holy Week: The Peter Principle

Jesus got up from the supper table, set aside his robe, and put on an apron. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the feet of the disciples, drying them with his apron. When he got to Simon Peter, Peter said, “Master, you wash my feet?” Jesus answered, “You don’t understand now what I’m doing, but it will be clear enough to you later.” Peter persisted, “You’re not going to wash my feet—ever!” Jesus said, “If I don’t wash you, you can’t be part of what I’m doing.” “Master!” said Peter. “Not only my feet, then. Wash my hands! Wash my head!” (John 13: 6 9, The Message Bible)

 [To complete The Peter Principle, I am planning to write blogs for Maundy Thursday (tomorrow), Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, plus the final one on the following Wednesday.]

           

                Nice try, Peter, but no cigar. Again.

                Did you ever get tired of just missing the mark about Jesus and being challenged by him seemingly at every turn in your discipleship? Your passion to follow Jesus is worn on your sleeve for all to see and yet you are always stumbling over your desire to prove yourself to Jesus.

                There have been people in my life for whom I desperately wanted to prove myself and be affirmed by them in some fashion. Professors in Divinity College. Family. Colleagues. Certain church folk whom I cherished.  And sometimes, I was often disappointed when I didn‘t get their admiration. What could have I done better or what should I have said? It was not that they had even shown any disapproval – far from it - but simply expected me to do well in my endeavors and enough said. Sometimes, I didn’t recognize the approval I did get – a new responsibility, a new task, extra duties, simply because they thought I could handle it.

                So, Peter, I empathize you in this moment.

                You go all in. “Not only my feet, then. Wash my hands! Wash my head!”

                Some might say that this is the only way to follow Jesus - all in. Don’t hold back. Dive in. Immerse yourself in his Love and Mercy.  Carry the watermarks of our baptism on our hearts. Don’t give up. Don’t quit.

                It is hard to argue against that position.

                But Peter reminds us how hard that can be even when our hearts are in the right place. Jesus told Peter that if he couldn’t do this simple act of washing Peter's feet, then it would be impossible to be a part of his Kingdom work. So, Peter, as always, jumps in with both feet and declares his total allegiance to Christ by asking for a full cleansing, head to toe.

                “Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh! Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work; Then I can start this day sun-washed, scrubbed clean of the grime of sin. These are the words in my mouth; these are what I chew on and pray. Accept them when I place them on the morning altar, O God, my Altar-Rock, God, Priest-of-My-Altar.” (Psalm 19: 11 -14, The Message)

                But Jesus goes on to interpret his act of foot-washing as an example of his Kingdom work. He had previously declared that washing is not the guarantee of a person’s being right with God. It’s what is inside the human heart and will which break out in acts of service and love which are the true indicators of a wholesome life.  So, he says here in John 13: “My concern, you understand, is holiness, not hygiene.”

                Moreover, his submissive foot-washing is an example of what holiness looks like. “So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do.” (v.16)

                This is the lesson Peter still had to absorb into his heart and soul. I know I need to learn it.  Our passionate exuberance to follow Jesus must result in the constant passion to serve others in love and in practical and hands-on ways. Not to earn Jesus’ approval; we already have that Love unconditionally. But to pick up towels and basins and humbly to embody Jesus’ Love back into the world.

                If Peter had only said – “Use my feet! Use my hands! Use my mind.”

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment