Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.” (John 14:12, New Living Translation)

                 What is a good antonym for “handyman”? Unhandy man? Inept handyman? Clumsy handyman? No wait, I’ve got it – it’s me!

                Please, do not put any tool of any kind in my hands. A simple repair job will take me twice as long as anyone else might do it. And I will likely have to do it twice, at least, because I didn’t get it right the first time. Recently, I was retrying to replace the burner in my BBQ. I bought the replacement part and discovered I had to put it together. Oh-oh. But I actually followed the instructions, only had do undo a part once, and in relatively short order I had a serviceable burner. But when I sent to install it, I pulled  too hard on one of the venturi tubes and it snapped off at the base. I’ve ordered a new part, but if you hear of a gas explosion in Peterborough, well, think of me fondly.

                I worked for my father’s construction business. The stories I could tell. I once lost a new door off the trailer I was hauling. He probably would have fired me but Mom would have been mad.  The one lasting and fitting monument to my handyman-ship is the outhouse which I put up at my in-law’s new cottage (now Nick and Erin’s) over 40 some years ago and is still standing and in use.  They should put a historic plaque on it.

                Christianity is a faith and grace-based, not a work-based movement. “But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners.” (Romans 4:5 NLT) But this does not mean that we get to sit idly by and watch the world go by, knowing our ticket to heaven is punched.

                Jesus expects good works from followers. He wants more workers for his Kingdom according to Matthew 9:38. When accused of disobeying Judaic law by “working” on the sabbath when he healed, he would have none of   that nonsense. As my mother would say, “Better the day, the better the deed.” Many a parable was about working in the vineyard, i.e. working to bear fruit and to do works of compassion, love, mercy, forgiveness and the like.

                It wasn’t about working for money, or praise or recognition or so we have a good pension plan, although I will admit the Kingdom’s pension plan is to be highly regarded. But just as Jesus recognized that he was always working because God was always working (John 5:17), he encourages that we, his followers, be always prepared and ready to put our backs to the wheel in working for his cause. As our above text affirms, we are empowered to do the same works as Jesus. I have always found that assertion rather mind-blowing, considering all that Jesus did.

                The great thing about these works is that we don’t have to become experts as we would if we were starting a carpentry business, for example. With the Holy Sprit’s assistance and the personal inner desire, we can immediately set to work to assist Jesus in the building of his kingdom. Of course, constant practice at these works will help to make us better and better at doing them. There is no apprenticeship, per se, but we put to use the gifts, talents and abilities which are right at our fingertips, so to speak.

                Even Paul understood the importance of good works: “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.” (Romans 12: 11, NLT)

                We are outfitted for the work of service once we have joined the Way. Let’s make it count for something.

                “Take particular care in picking out your building materials. Eventually there is going to be an inspection. If you use cheap or inferior materials, you’ll be found out. The inspection will be thorough and rigorous. You won’t get by with a thing. If your work passes inspection, fine; if it doesn’t, your part of the building will be torn out and started over. But you won’t be torn out; you’ll survive—but just barely.” (1 Corinthians 3: 14 -15, The Message Bible)

 Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment