Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

“Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.” (Matthew 5: 13, The Message Bible)

                “If the hermit has Covid, then we are all doomed.”

                This was the smart-aleck comment from my oldest son when the news went out to the family at the end of last week that I had tested positive for Covid. It serves me right as I had gotten very sloppy about wearing a mask when out-and-about. At worse,  it has been like a having a very bad head cold, the roughest being the first couple of days. I am feeling much better today.

                The first inkling that I might have Covid was that I lost my sense of taste and smell. Totally. You could have fed me a good steak and it would have tasted the same as a piece of cardboard. Nada! I had none of the basic taste senses - bitter, salty, sour, sweet and savoury.  They were all gone and I am just starting to get them back.

                I missed the saltiness the most. I admit that I love salt on a lot of things – fries, potato chips, steak, soup, etc. etc. I’ll even add a pinch of salt to some fruit like cantaloupe. It seems to enhance the flavour and make the taste pop. I know that too much salt is not healthy for us but I hope and pray that I will never have to go on a salt-free diet. That might kill me faster than the salt.

                Jesus wants his followers to be the “salt of the earth”. We will use that expression to describe someone who is a cut above average in their good disposition, their compassion for others, their humility, their positive outlook on life. They are wonderful people to be around and to have as friends. Their presence helps make life a little brighter and beneficial.

                But we also need to understand a somewhat deeper connection between being salt of the earth and Jesus. Jesus doesn’t need bland followers. He needs disciples who make a difference in the lives of others and in the world around us. If we are active followers of Jesus, we “season” the world with Love, Compassion, Justice, Peace, Good Fruit (i.e. works), and actions that speak louder than words.

                A lot of people  ignore or reject Jesus because his Church has become too blasé, too tasteless, too mild, too out-of-touch. We play it safe. We stick to old traditions that have long outworn their usefulness. We say the same old things in the same old ways (which is why I like using the Message Bible, to change it up.) We get stuck in the past.

                “You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?”

                We are not here to be caustic, sour, bitter, tart, or vinegary. We are here to enhance people’s hunger and thirst for God by adding the seasoning of God’s Love to the words and actions which we speak and do. When salt loses its flavour, it is not any good for anything. Elsewhere, as here, Jesus says that one might as well throw it away (Luke 14:35). It’s garbage!

                Salty language may not be a virtue, but being a salty Christian is. It means to live in a way that makes a difference, even if it is in only small ways and means. It is doing unto others what is kind, good, loving, caring and sharing.

                “Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.” (Ephesians 5: 1 -2, The Message Bible)

                Pass the salt, please!

 Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment