Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

“Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh! Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work; Then I can start this day sun-washed, scrubbed clean of the grime of sin. These are the words in my mouth; these are what I chew on and pray. Accept them when I place them on the morning altar, O God, my Altar-Rock,  God, Priest-of-My-Altar.” (Psalm 19: 11 – 14, The Message Bible)

                 Makemake. Acicular. Anthocyanins.

                If you know the meaning of these words, then you know more than I did. I thought I had a quite large vocabulary. But since I started working on a Wordsearch puzzle book recently as part of my bed time routine, I am discovering all sorts of words which are totally unfamiliar to me. I have been looking some of them up.

                Makemake may sound like a Hawaiian fish dinner that you might order at a restaurant. But actually, it is the name of a swarm of objects which circulate around the planet Neptune. Acicular refers to anything needle shaped like crystals or leaves of plants or trees. Anthocyanins are pigments which give some things a reddish or purple colour like purple cauliflower.

                You can’t say this blog isn’t informative or educational!

                I love words. Maybe that is why I became a preacher. My theology professor, Dr. Russel Aldwinckle, my mentor in so many ways, impressed upon me the importance of choosing and using my words wisely and accurately. Clarity and precision were key in expressing oneself, be it on paper in an essay or preaching from the pulpit.

                Words are very important and so also is how we use them. We can sometimes use our words carelessly, thoughtlessly and hurtfully. But words of encouragement, reassurance, support, affection, respect can build up and bolster our relationships, even with strangers.

                We know from Genesis that Creation began with God speaking. Words are indeed creative as we see in books, poetry, sermons, and the like. Sometimes a whole new world is made to come alive in what we read and hear. Words can strike our emotions in a variety of ways. Words define our world. They build bridges between us. Words express our feelings, our ideas, our hearts. Words can get us into trouble but a good spoken apology can also soothe and mend hurt feelings.

                These are the words in my mouth, says the Psalmist, “these are what I chew on and pray.” Some preachers will begin their sermons with these words, but the meaning is far broader than just preaching. They remind us that we are responsible for our words in whatever circumstances that we find ourselves in each and every day.  Words are, in many ways, sacred. Or can be. The epistle writer, James, echoes much the same thought in his familiar words: “But be doers of the word and not merely hearers who deceive themselves.” (James 1:22, Revised Standard Version)

                The word we seek to express in our lives comes from the Word made flesh, Jesus. “Everyone spoke well of him and was amazed by the gracious words that came from his lips.” (Luke 4:22, NLT)  That should be us, as well. God renews his Creative Word of Love, Grace, Peace and Hope in the person of Jesus. And it is through Jesus that we are all challenged to embody the same words as we live out our lives.

                “Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.” (Ephesians 4:29, The Message Bible)

                Let us endeavour to make our words such a gift.

    Or in the words of those great theologians, the Bee Gees: “It's only words, and words are all I have To take your heart away.”

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment