Wednesday, August 16, 2023

 Wednesday, August 16, 2023

“While I’m locked up here, a prisoner for the Master, I want you to get out there and walk—better yet, run! - on the road God called you to travel. I don’t want any of you sitting around on your hands. I don’t want anyone strolling off, down some path that goes nowhere. And mark that you do this with humility and discipline—not in fits and starts, but steadily, pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences.” (Ephesians 4: 1 -3, The Message Bible)

                Go, take a hike!

                Yeah, I mean you!

                Sorry to sound rude, but I have discovered the joys of taking virtual hikes on-line. One can go anywhere in the world and enjoy a beautiful, peaceful trek through nature. Pine forests. Lakes. Mountains. The only sounds are usually the crunch of the footsteps of the videographer or the sound of wind in the trees or the rush of water in a brook.

                Mind you, the “best” part is that I don’t ever have to leave my big, blue comfy recliner. I just settle back and take in the scenery along my “walk”. Now, one could argue, rightfully so, that a virtual walk doesn’t compare to being actually on the trail, live. The exercise would do me good. Could I be any more lazy? I can’t even argue that it’s better than nothing because it is nothing. I don’t take one single step in the venture.  I do get a relaxing, meditative, anxiety-reducing experience, but that is about it.

                The apostle Paul often uses the concept of walking as a way to describe our relationship with Christ. It is appropriate when we think how Jesus would challenge people to “follow me.” “Whoever says, ‘I abide in him,’ ought to walk in the same way as he walked.” (1 John 2:6, New Living Translation) In fact, Christianity was first known as “The Way” (Acts 9:2). This implies that our discipleship is a journey, not just a destination. It suggests that our faith should be moving forward, progressing, walking toward a new horizon each and every day, for we walk by faith, not by sight.” (2 Corinthians 5:7. NLT)

                In today’s text, Paul urges us to go, take a hike - “to get out there and walk—better yet, run! - on the road God called you to travel.”  Virtual following of Jesus is not an option. We should not sit in our spiritual easy chairs and contemplate how nice the Kingdom scenery is. “Walk as children of light.” (Ephesians 5:8, NLT) Our following in Jesus’ steps especially means loving one another as he has loved us. The milestones along this Way are our good works, our words of kindness, our acts of compassion, “so that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God.” (Colossians 1:10, NLT)

                “Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart to revere your name.” (Psalm 86:11, NLT)

                It doesn’t mean that we won’t occasionally stumble, maybe even fall, sometimes go down the wrong road, get lost along the way, but if we keep our eyes on Jesus, our faith in him will get us back on the right path, help us find our footing, lift us up back up on firmer ground so that we may continue our walk with him. “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies; you stretch out your hand, and your right hand delivers me.” (Psalm 138:7, NLT)

                I am reminded of those stories about Jesus when he would encounter someone who was lame and disabled. “Stand up, take your bed, and go to your home.” (Matthew 9:6, NLT) Stand up and walk. Empowering. Counter intuitive. Authoritative. Invitational. Life changing. Transformational.

                So, go take a hike! I think I will join you.

 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment