Wednesday, November 22, 2023

 Wednesday, November 22, 2023

“This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other.”  (John 15: 12 =-17, New Living Translation)

                It’s quite easy to accept a friend request  - just click the accept tab - to become  a friend  on Facebook, but quite another actually to engage in the friendship.

                Recently, I was taken to task by someone whom I didn’t know but had accepted her request to become a friend. She was annoyed with me for not responding to her “How are you doing?” Her exact words were, “Hello it seems you don’t want to talk to me so why did you accept me in the first place.”

                Good question!

                Now, I get a lot of friend requests from both known friends and many strangers because of this blog. I don’t accept them all. Some look suspicious. Some seem inappropriate for one reason or another. Unfortunately, when I do accept one and a text comes back that asks, “How are you doing?”, most of the times, it seems that this is a trojan text – not the person it says it is from, and then it tries to sell me something i.e. It’s a scam. This happens with people I do know as well as well as strangers. I don’t know if this is AI or a robot generated, but it is all bogus. So now, anymore, I don’t usually answer “How are you doing?”

    Now, my hurt, new almost- friend began with the prohibited phrase and got ignored. Sorry!

                It is way too easy to click a button and think you have made a friend. This method is impersonal, carries no real obligation than maybe a quick chat now and then. It is generally quite artificial and superficial for the most part. Conversations are short and sweet.  I am not saying this is all bad but let’s not carried away that we are truly making hundreds of real friends through this process.

                I will be honest. I am not all that good at sustaining outside-of-family friendships. I am too much of a recluse, harboring my privacy, an introvert enjoying my own small world. It is not an especially good thing. Just ask my friends!

                Friendships are hard for me. I wish it were not so. Friendships take commitment, trust, tolerance, patience, good humour, acceptance and total understanding.  I flounder sometimes in practicing those characteristics outside of my most immediate family.

                Nevertheless, Jesus has requested my friendship and I have accepted his request. He is not my pal, my buddy, my BFF but he is my Friend, a life’ s companion, a confidant, a fellow brother along life’s way, an encourager and a close advisor.  But the same is true in this friendship as any other. This Friendship also take commitment, trust, tolerance, patience, good humour, acceptance and total understanding.  It comes with responsibilities and investment of time, energy and labour. “I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit.”

                I can’t get away with just clicking the friend request button and then ignoring him. He expects an answer from me.  He expects me to engage in a deeper conservation with him. It is not just “How are you doing?” and some glib response or ignoring it all together. It is also about listening, asking, discussing, engaging in the relationship to which I have been invited. Not always easy, sometimes painful, but always full of Love, Grace, Compassion, Mercy, Forgiveness – the deep-down traits of a good Friend.

                “What a friend we have in Jesus,
                All our sins and griefs to bear!
                What a privilege to carry
                Everything to God in prayer!
                Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
                Oh, what needless pain we bear,
                All because we do not carry
                Everything to God in prayer!”

Dale

1 comment: