Wednesday, December 20, 2023

 Wednesday, December 20, 2023 – Advent Four/Christmas

“In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:16, New Living Translation)

                Have you been naughty or nice this year? Gifts or coal? Just asking!

                I have been following Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes) in the daily comic strip this week? He always faces quite the moral dilemma before Christmas; whether to give into his naughty side or struggle to maintain the good in hopes that Santa will reward him for his efforts. Should he make a snowball and hit Suzie with it or resist the temptation? Of course, it is never about doing good just for goodness’ sake but to reap presents from Santa. Or as he puts it, “To evaluate my character, my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed.” While he is figuring all this out, he has built a mountain of snowballs. “The day after Christmas is going to be epic.”

                “For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.” (Romans 7: 17 - 20 The Message Bible)

                Isn’t that the truth!

                We all wish we had made better decisions and wiser choices. If we could do some things over again, if we could have eaten our words, if we might have acted less selfishly, if we had taken more time, if we had shown more love and compassion, understanding and patience, then there might have been better outcomes. Hindsight is always twenty-twenty; if we only knew then what we know now, then we wouldn’t be in the predicament we find ourselves in.

                But here we are, sitting on a pile of snowballs, getting ready to compound our mistakes. He or she who is without sin, let them throw the first snowball.

                It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands, but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question?”  (Romans 7: 21 -24, TMB)

                But it is almost Christmas. Let’s think and therefore act on the good side. We celebrate the coming of one who puts things right even if we can’t. “The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.”  (Romans 7:25, TMB)

                We lay a lot on this babe’s shoulders: “For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6, NLT) Yet, Jesus of Bethlehem is also the word made flesh. He is the embodiment of goodness, the living example of what it means to love others unconditionally.  Our own good works, done in Jesus’ name, help make this broken world a better place for us and others.

                So, melt your snowballs into watersheds of human kindness and compassion.  May the days after Christmas indeed be epic for one and all, because we continue to let our good deeds shine for all.

                May you all have a very blessed Christmas!

Dale

                (There will be no blog next week, so have a Happy New Year, too. God willing and the creek don’t rise, back on January 3rd.)       

No comments:

Post a Comment