Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

“Then God looked over all he had made, and he saw that it was very good!” (Genesis 1: 31, New Living Translation)

                Praise be! I finished it.  Yesterday, I finished putting together my red, Lego, British, double decker bus. It’s looking mighty fine. (This is the last of my Lego stories – I promise! Well, for now…)

                I had a small setback when some of it fell apart while I was attaching some other pieces. But with patience and calm (uncharacteristic of me, I know), I pieced it back together and then put the finishing touches on the whole project. Voila! A red, British, double decker bus. It is not perfect but I am rather proud of it, if I do say so myself. I didn’t cure cancer or stop wars but I still have some sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

                The Genesis stories of Creation inform us that God also felt a profound sense of accomplishment and achievement in his acts of creation. From First Light to the human beings who God created in his own image, it was all good. More than good – it was very good. Every day brought out something from the loving goodness of God, making Creation sacred, unique, a blessing, an imaginative and innovative project which formed into our existence and the planet on which we live. These wondrous stories remind us of the richness and the abundance and the sacredness of all created existence, from the smallest detail to the biggest.

                How God came up with the platypus or the giraffe, I don’t know, but they, too, are good, very good. On that seventh day of rest, God looked at all he had made and pronounced it all to be very good.

                “It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.” (Isaiah 55: 11, NLT)

                I suppose I could go the way of exclaiming and complaining about how we, God’s very image, have so often spoiled God’s very good Creation. Wars, pollution, etc.

                But let’s focus, instead, on the goodness of accomplishment and achievement. Let’s consider the sense of satisfaction from a job well done. Let’s reflect on the spirit of the pleasure and fulfillment we receive from doing things the best way, the right way, the productive way.

                Paul wrote in his second letter to the Thessalonians, “May God give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.” (1:11)

                Each of us has a life to build. We don’t have to build it alone for God always offers his encouragement, counsel and support. Jesus has set the best example. The Holy Spirit aids us. But we do have to put the work in. We have to figure out what fits and what doesn’t. We have to make right choices and decisions.  We have to follow the directions (i.e. scripture). We have to discern the good from the bad.  But it is all worth it. “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” (Ephesians 3:20, NLT)

                We will not always do it perfectly. There may be times that it seems to fall apart and we have to so some rebuilding. We may need patience and perseverance. But the end-product – although I could argue that we are never totally finished in this life - is something for which we can feel a sense of accomplishment, pride, achievement. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (Ephesians 2: 10, NLT)

                “Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.” (Ephesians 4: 24, NLT)

 Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment