Wednesday, July 22, 2026
“So we must
listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it.”
(Hebrews 2:1, New Living Translation)
We usually listen and watch each Sunday’s worship service from Yorkminster Park Baptist Church on my little Chromebook. The picture is great but the sound quality is poor. Not the fault of the broadcast but my little built-in speaker is simply not up to the majestic sounds of the worship service. Even with my hearing aids, I was missing a lot of what was being said and sung. It could have been tempting to just give up some Sundays and turn it off.
Finally, I decided to address
the problem. Many of you will wonder why I didn’t do this much earlier. Part of
it was laziness; part of it was my tech-device phobia. But I took a set of
speakers which were not being used anyway and began to figure out how, if
possible, I could attach them to my Chromebook. I was not particularly hopeful.
First, I tried to plug the speakers directly into the Chromebook. Didn’t fit. I
did tell you I was technically inept, right? I, then, realized that I needed
the large main sound box, a woofer, (don’t ask me; I don’t know what a woofer
is either). Then I plugged the two speakers into that box and plugged the whole
shebang into my Chromebook… and nothing.
I had gotten this far and, uncharacteristically
perhaps, I wasn’t about to give up. I noticed that there were two volume knobs.
I turned up the one on the box and got an incomprehensible, bass garble. But when
I turned up the other volume knob, I got clear, resonant, radio-quality sound.
Now, the services have never sounded better and we can listen to every word clearly.
With some effort and persistence and a few attempts, listening is a joy. I wish that I had done this much earlier!
There is an old “contemporary”
1960’s Christian song, called “Hey. Hey, Is Anybody Listening?” If I remember correctly
(I couldn’t find the lyrics on-line) it was about listening to the Good News. Sometimes,
it is very difficult to hear the Good News through the cacophony of voices and alternate
proclamations from the world around us. Are
we paying attention or does the Good News go in one ear and out the other?
Just as it took some time and effort to fix my sound problem, we must
also make an effort to be more intentional and perseverant in paying attention to
what God has been telling us. Scripture acts
as an amplifier for the Voice of God in many ways. “Listen to this, all you
people! Pay attention, everyone in the world!” (Psalm 49:1) Jesus was
always exhorting the people to open their ears and listen to what he had to say.
“Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand… Pay close attention to
what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given
- and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more
understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what
little understanding they have will be taken away from them.” (Mark 4: 23
-25)
Yes, some of it is hard to understand
and make relevant. Some of it, some people don’t like. Some of it exposes our
sin and makes us uncomfortable. Some of it can be hard to put into practice on
a regular basis. But there is also
beauty, grace, comfort, encouragement, life-instruction, promise and hope if we
listen carefully. I would argue the more we listen to and heed these words of faith,
the more it makes sense. The more it makes sense, the more it is useful. The
more it is useful, the more we become stronger in faith and become closer to
God.
Then we become not just hearers of the word, but doers of the word. “Don’t
fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but,
letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those
who hear and don’t act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and
two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like. But whoever
catches a glimpse of the revealed counsel of God—the free life!—even out of the
corner of his eye, and sticks with it, is no distracted scatterbrain but a man
or woman of action. That person will find delight and affirmation in the
action.” (James 1: 22 -24, The Message Bible)
So, turn up the volume. Pay attention. Listen carefully. God has a
message for us. He loves us and God wants us to enjoy his Kingdom-style Life. “For
he is our God. We are the people he watches over, the flock under his care. If
only you would listen to his voice today!” (Psalm 95:7)
Our Loving God,
we enjoy the confidence that you always listen to our prayers. Thank you. But forgive
us when we fail to listen to the loving words you have shared with us through scripture,
through worship, and especially through the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ. We need
your help so that we strive to follow your Word in all its forms. Grant us your
wisdom, courage and strength so that we in the Way you have taught us. In Jesus’
name, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment