Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

[I am taking a two-week mental health break to renew the creative juices. I will be back on Wednesday, September 9th.]

The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Luke q0:27, New Living Translation)

              After the ecstasy and the agony of last year’s season, it has been painful for me to cheer for the Toronto Blue Jays, this season. They have been mostly a very mediocre and sometimes downright awful baseball team in 2026, far from their World Series appearance from last year. But all of a sudden, this past couple or weeks or so, they are playing better, winning baseball and are, incredibly, fighting for a playoff spot. But to be honest, as much as I am cheering for them to succeed, there is a part of me that remains agonizingly skeptical, doubtful and even pessimistic about their chances.  I am waiting for this bubble to burst and they will revert to their normal selves and miss out on the playoffs. In my heart, I am a believer, but in my mind, I am waiting for the let-down and the disappointment. A fair-weather fan, I guess. “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.”

                It is sometimes difficult to be all-in on our passions or at least to maintain the fervor and idealism that we started out with. Our hearts might be in the right places, but the mind begins to wander. Other things interrupt and intrude. Drought-ful experiences drain our energy. Doubts and questions seep in. We get older and sometimes a little jaded. There are distractions and a cacophony of opinions, news and a bevy of alternatives which vie for our attention and loyalty. Perhaps, we have seen it all, heard it all and know it all - and have stopped caring. Buyer, beware. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

                Our text comes from the story of a rigorous teacher of the law posing a question to Jesus about the greatest commandment. Jesus asked him what the Law actually said. The man knows the correct answer. Perhaps he has recited it so often that it is now automatic, pure rote and he has little or no  passion for the words he speaks. Does he practice what he preaches? Does he live everyday by the import of these two commandments?  Does he say the words because he knows that it is the right answer and is showing off his piety?  Perhaps, he all is Law and no action. The dry bones of faith but no sinew or muscle to  back it up.        

But the lead commandment is about giving one’s faith one’s all, no half measures, no qualifications, without reserve “that you love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and muscle and intelligence—and that you love your neighbor as well as you do yourself.”. (The Message Bible) Heart, mind, body and soul. That’s an incredible commitment on our behalf. There are no days off. There are no exceptions. There are no limitations. This is not to say that we all must live in a spiritual fever pitch for 24 hours a day; that would exhaust and burn us out. But it is to say that we practice our faith intentionally and whole-heartedly every day. There will be ebbs and flows, but the core values will always determine our intentions, actions and words. We persevere. We don’t give up. “I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.” (Philippians 3:14)

We don’t just say the right words; we live the right way.

In Luke’s version, Jesus’ encounter with the religious scholar leads to the wonderful parable about the Good Samaritan. The high-and-mighty religious leaders walked by the wounded man on the other side of the road. But the much-despised Samaritan stopped and helped the man and went far beyond just meagre assistance. He gave it his all, words plus action. A doctor friend of mine always said, “Preach the Gospel; if necessary, use words.”

            Living for Jesus a life that is true,
            striving to please Him in all that I do,
            yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
            this is the pathway of blessing for me.

Refrain:
            Jesus, Lord and Savior,
            I give myself to Thee;
            for Thou, in Thine atonement,
            didst give Thyself for me.
            I own no other master;
            my heart shall be Thy throne.
            My life I give, henceforth to live,
            O Christ, for Thee alone.


Prayer:

Our Loving God, grant us the desire and the energy to live our faith each and everyday. Help fan into flames the sort of faith that inspires even when we feel weak and weary. We give you our undivided love and whole-hearted commitment. Help us to follow Jesus this day and every day. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment