Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

“Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” (Matthew 6:21, The Living Translation)

                I am not so much a techno-phobe as I am a techno klutz. Just ask my children. I get by with the basics on my computers and cell phone as long as it doesn’t get too complicated – which doesn’t take much. But generally, I am not too keen on getting whatever is the latest technological gadget that is out in the market.

                Which is why I am not interested in the gizmo they have been pushing on TV ads – a heart monitor that is linked to your cell phone. Just place you index fingers on a small pad and it will send your heart rates to your cell phone. Yikes! Just what I need (not) – something that will invite me to obsess about the condition of my heart. Am I having a heart attack yet? No? Ok, what about now? Wait. What about now?  Perhaps, if one has a serious heart condition, it might be helpful but people have their noses buried enough already in their hand-held devices. Do I really need another futile distraction in my day? Mind you, sitting in my big blue, comfy recliner, it may remind me that I, at least, have a pulse.

                Not that acknowledging that one has a heart condition is a bad thing.

                I am drawn to Jesus’ words about the connection between the heart and our desires.  Here’s the Message rendition: “Don’t hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it’s safe from moth and rust and burglars. It’s obvious, isn’t it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.” Jesus once challenged his critics for their hypocrisy: “For whatever is in your heart determines what you say.” (Mathew 12:34) Their hearts were bitter, judgmental, scornful. Jesus went on to say, “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart” (12:.35).

                In biblical terms, the heart was the symbolic source of one’s emotions, feelings, motives, character and passion.  Our hearts can turn on our neighbours or family and friends. ”Neighbors lie to each other, speaking with flattering lips and deceitful hearts.” (Psalm 12: 2) We can feel discouraged, forsaken, lonely, lost “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad?” (Psalm 42:5) If one is apart from God, one has a heart condition: “Only fools say in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, and their actions are evil; not one of them does good!” (Psalm 53: 1) Or in Jesus’ words, “For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander.” (Matthew 15:19)

                It is hard to change the desires of one’s heart. It can be hard to go from some bad thoughts to good thoughts. It can be a challenge to turn our hearts inside out from selfishness to loving kindness. It can be a test of our character to let go of all the unrealistic desires of our hearts and rediscover a different heart rhythm that embraces others, that seeks love, that seeks God in the goodness of life. “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.” (Psalm 51: 10)

                Jesus gave us his advice about the heart: “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.” (John 14:1) It may sound somewhat sentimental to say, “I have given my heart to Jesus” but to connect our hearts’ desires based, not on or by the world’s standards, but based on the Love and character of Jesus is good medicine for the heart. Jesus’ heart encourages our hearts to beat with Love, forgiveness, mercy, compassion, justice and good works. “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” (John 14:27)

                It is smart to do a heart physical check-up, so why not give your spiritual heart a check-up?

                “God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God.” (Matthew 5:8)

 Dale      

No comments:

Post a Comment