Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

“Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence but much more now in my absence, work on your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2: 12 -13, New Revised Standard Version)

               I think I would rather have surgery on my other shoulder than have to deal with our cable/internet/telephone provider who shall remain nameless. It’s a bit of a long story but bear with me and I hope it will connect to today’s text.

                Last August, when our basement was flooded and had to be gutted to fix the problems that were caused, our communications hub was affected by the outcome. As we plugged things back in, everything worked but our cordless phones. So, I phoned our provider. A nice young woman answered. She asked for our password. I didn’t have a clue. Sorry, but she couldn’t help unless  I gave our password. I didn't even know I had a password.  She had my phone number, street address.  Didn’t matter; no password, no help. I gave her the name of my firstborn, my mother’s maiden name, all the names of our dogs we ever had (slightly exaggerating). Still, no password, no service.

Then she suggested that I give her the serial number off the modem. I told her that even if I could see the numbers in the dark, I wouldn’t be able to read them as they were too small. She suggested I use a magnifying glass. That’s when I asked for her supervisor and got the same runaround. He finally condescended to look at our service. He told me that everything looked just fine on their end and we needed to basically work out the problem for ourselves and gave us a couple of suggestions that might help. As my mother might say, it was enough to make a preacher swear. But with the help of a stranger, I actually did get the phones working again.  I am sure that there is red flag on our account that warns their customer service people of a rude, crotchety old man. Tough!

                Phones went out again this week. I was readying for battle when Susan took over. She was sweetness and light and faced none of the issues I had. Again, they tried to fix it from their end but couldn’t. We needed a modem upgrade. They could mail us a new one or we could go the store and pick it up ourselves. We had to go down into the basement and figure out all the many cords which needed to be unplugged, go to their store, go through their rigmarole for the exchange of modems and then go back home and try to remember where all the cords should go. We were given a help sheet, just in case. I don’t know what it would actually take to get a service call. It always seemed that we had to work out the fix for the problem ourselves for the most part. Phones seem to be working. Good news is that we now have a password. Yippee!

                It seemed that the cable company wanted us to work it our on our own. As long as everything was fine on their end, we needed to work out the solutions or go the extra mile and make the effort to solve our issues.

                Paul tells his readers to work out their salvation with fear and trembling. God has freely set things right between him and us through Jesus Christ. We have salvation by grace. Everything is just fine on God’s end. Now, it is up to us to figure out what to do with this marvelous gift of salvation. We have all the necessary parts. We have the instructions i.e. the Bible. We have the help of fellow believers. God has gifted us with talents, skills and abilities and hopefully, the intelligence to figure out how to make this salvation system work.

                Although Paul affirms that salvation is a gift and we can’t work to earn it, he is certainly not opposed to good works. In fact, he insists upon it. Good works are the necessary response to the salvation we have been given. Neither God nor Jesus can do good works for us – we must work these things out for ourselves. It is not enough to know the password – Jesus Christ – one has to work out the responsibility of one’s faith in order for it to be in good working order. (Maybe, Jesus is more like the modem, in some ways.)

                “Remember, there is only one foundation, the one already laid: Jesus Christ. Take particular care in picking out your building materials. Eventually there is going to be an inspection. If you use cheap or inferior materials, you’ll be found out. The inspection will be thorough and rigorous. You won’t get by with a thing. If your work passes inspection, fine; if it doesn’t, your part of the building will be torn out and started over. But you won’t be torn out; you’ll survive—but just barely.” (1 Corinthians 3: 11 -15, The Message)

                My mother also had another saying, God helps those who help themselves. It may be exasperating if all we do is wait for God to “fix” all our problems when we ourselves need to work with God and do our part in living up to his gracious Love and Mercy. We are God’s partners throughout his plan for salvation. “And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6)

Dale

 

No comments:

Post a Comment