Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

“And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved.” (Matthew 9:17, New Living Translation)

               It is a tradition in our family that, on the first day of school in September, pictures are taken of our grandchildren as they head off to school  and then the pictures are posted on our family chat page. Smiling and shiny faces, for the most part; eager, for the most part, for the new year ahead. All of our grand children are now in full elementary school from grade 1 to grade 8. Each year, we remark how they have grown and changed. Many of us might recall how those first few days of school felt with brand new text books to be studied and fresh, unmarked note books for our homework, maybe some new pencil crayons still sharp and never used, making new friends.  Anticipation, expectations, possibilities, resolve and determination, with maybe just a touch of anxiety and concern. Most students, at least, begin with high hopes for the year.  

                I was always hyped about the beginning of the church year in September. New and fresh starts were in the air.  The business and the work of the church was getting off to a renewed beginning. I had a new sermon schedule. There would be a new bible study to begin. Choir revved up.  Sunday school was going to get started. I had some new ideas to try and had set some new goals and ambitions for the church year ahead. I was raring to go! The “problem” was that my folk didn’t quite share my enthusiasm for the coming year. It often seemed that it would take until Thanksgiving in October for them to really get up to speed. I never really ever adjusted to the lag.

                But now that I am a senior, I understand better. I don’t appreciate newness in the same way as I once did. I like things to stay the same. I don’t like surprises. I try to avoid most new challenges. I don’t want change; I want the familiar, the tried and true, the no-surprises agenda. Besides, at my age, I tend to agree with the writer of Ecclesiastes that there is nothing new under the sun anyway. “Sometimes people say, ‘Here is something new!’ But actually, it is old; nothing is ever truly new.” (Ecclesiastes 1:10) Please don’t innovate, change, renovate, alter or modernize anything going on in my world  on my account. The same old same old is just fine.

                But our text challenges us that fresh beginnings are a life-enriching experience if we let them into our lives. God offered his people these words as words of possibility and hope in the middle of life-draining exile : “For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.” (Isaiah 43:19) Just when we think that nothing is changeable, that all is predictable, that life is one damn thing after another, God pours out his wondrous Love in invigorating, refreshing, enlivening, copious portions. “Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” (Lamentations 3:23)

                And when God strikes something new, one can’t just put it in back in the bottle and recap it. It calls for a response. It demands an action. It calls out our commitment. We are supposed to pay attention, do our homework, have good attendance, get involved, participate in “class”, be a good classmate, and strive to do our best. Don’t let the ordinary be your high bar.  God is always teaching us something new, always giving us instructions in new possibilities, always stretching each of us to reach our potential as children of God. “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5: 17)

                Even at my age? Yes, even at my age!

Prayer:

Our Loving Creator, we celebrate the newness which you give to us through so many ways and means. Help us to be receptive to your vision fore us and the Church. We pray for students and teachers who have begun a new year; keep them safe and ready to both learn and teach. But teach us all what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ that we may always be ready and willing to strive for Christian excellence. In Jesus’ name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dale. We all need to be reminded of this.

    ReplyDelete