Wednesday, June 15, 2016


Wednesday, June 15, 2016

            It is almost impossible to be light-hearted in the wake of what has happened in Florida and in the mass murders of 50 people. As much as I would like to turn off the news, or not read such stuff on the internet, or close my eyes or look away, as a responsible follower of Jesus Christ, I cannot nor should I. One of my favourite all-time comic strip characters out of Bloom County by the name of Opus would always retreat to the periwinkle or dandelion patch on top of a hill when life became stressed and by lying among the periwinkle seek refuge from such nasty, evil events.

            But my refuge in such a time as this is found in nothing so mundane as a periwinkle patch. Rather, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble,” (Psalm 46:1).

Now, I realize that such a faith does not explain why this terrible atrocity has taken place. I cannot begin to imagine what the families of those 50 people who were killed or the survivors are going through, except it must be hell. And when faced with hell, there is a God who shares our grief, our anger, our fear, our despair, our confusion and maybe even our questions. “How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings,” (Psalm 36:7). “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart,” (Psalm 91:4).

Any religion which supports bigotry, racism, hatred, or violence is a weak religion indeed.  Part of my refuge is found in Jesus Christ who was so inclusive with his love, so unconditional with his grace and mercy, seeing a person for who he or she was, regardless of labels, stereotypes and categories. But that is another argument for another time, perhaps. 

            For people who believe there is no sin, no evil, no external-personal malevolence, the senseless deaths in Florida remind us otherwise. Satan is alive and busy. But so is God, and so I pray: “Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed,” (Psalm 57:1).

            Pray for the families of the victims. Pray for the family of the shooter. Pray for the wounded. Pray for those who seek violence as a response to their own pain and anger. Pray for peace. Pray for political wisdom in our leaders. But don’t give up or give in. “But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge—do not give me over to death,” (Psalm 142:8).

 

Dale

1 comment:

  1. Just a few days before, there was an amazing multi-faith service for the late Mohammed Ali. The themes of love and peace by action and word resonated throughout the many speakers' words - friedns, family, dignitaries who emphasized again and again what had been demonstrated in their relationships with him.

    What powerful words in any religion... The contrast in Orlando is heartbreaking...

    ReplyDelete