Wednesday, June 1, 2016


Wednesday, June 1, 2016

            Our oldest son and his wife have developed the habit of saying “good job!” whenever one of their boys does something they have been asked to do or accomplishes a new task or endeavour. It is a positive affirmation of their growing abilities, comprehension, cooperation and learning. “Good job” when William helps bake muffins. “Good job” when he helps pick up his toys. “Good job” when Henry eats a new food he hasn’t tried before.

            The neat thing is that I now hear the phrase creeping into all four of our adult children’s conversations. They apply “good job” to each other in appreciation and affirmation.  “Good job” when one helps the other to prepare dinner. “Good job” when one does the driving in heavy traffic.  “Good job” when one of them completes a task or project. Even Finzy the Newfie pup gets a “good job” when he learns something new or repeats a learned piece of obedience.

            I grew up in a family where doing a good job was simply expected and although I knew a job well-done was always appreciated I didn’t usually hear it often from my parents. Consequently, I had to be very intentional during my ministry to acknowledge the good and hard work of my church folk, and not just assume that it should be the norm. Frankly, I could and should have done better.

            I sometime think that gratitude is a gift that has got lost in our culture, and sad to say, especially in churches, where criticizing and judging and complaining too often run rampant. As a pastor I know that I did more than my fair share when frustrated and disappointed.

But it is also true in the bigger world.  Politicians, care providers, doctors, nurses, the cashier at the grocery store, the guy who shovels our driveways, somebody who stops on the street and helps us find directions – who doesn’t appreciate hearing a “good job” now and then?

So too in our families and best relationships. A “good job” for the wife who has prepared meals for her husband, like forever.  A “good job” for the husband who vacuumed and dusted before company came. A “good job” for the teenager who helped with the dishes or got an “B+” on their math test. “A “good job” when an 8-year-old shares his popsicle without being told.  “Good job” when grandma or grandpa go through hard medical tests.

So, Good Job! to all of you out there. Pass it on!

“Well done, good and faithful one… enter into the joy of your Master,” (Matthew 25:23).

 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment