Thursday, March 30, 2017


Thursday, March 30, 2016


                Some will tell you that it’s not the destination but it’s the journey. But I would suggest that those people have never flown from Toronto into the United States. Last week, as we flew into Tampa, Florida, I have discovered that I much prefer the “being there” far more than the “getting-to-there.” Just to get on the plane is an ordeal of multiple line-ups, security checks, custom checks, and trying to figure out the technology that is supposed to hurry up the process but really doesn’t. It took me four tries to get through the body scanner alone as it kept showing “objects” that weren’t even there. Picky! Picky!

                But, oh, the destination! We traveled with Katie and Gary and baby Spencer to a wonderful rented home in Palm Harbor, Florida. It was a spacious, beautiful home with an exotic backyard full of a variety of palm trees and plants. Friendly, little geckos darted around everywhere. There was a hot tub in the yard. Comfortable, patio furniture everywhere. Miniature lights at night.  Gary and I took in four Blue Jays' spring training games (now checked off my bucket list). On our last day, we went to a beautiful Gulf beach for a few splendid hours. Food was great. The people were friendly and helpful. The bird watching was magnificent.

 One morning as I was sitting in the back, I spotted a large, orange-coloured bird flying (probably a roseate spoonbill) across the sky and when the morning sun hit it as it spread its wings, the bird seemed to explode into an orange, fiery phoenix. It was authentically awesome!

No, give me the destination. You can keep the journey.

I have always been a little puzzled about Paul’s wish that he “would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord,” (2 Corinthians 5:8). It seemed like he would prefer death to living. He preferred the ultimate, sacred destination to the reality of his “earthly tent” (5:1). He seems to stoically accept the journey that he is on as part of the process, but I get the sense that he is not exactly enjoying it. It used to come across to me as a bit grim. “For while we are still in this tent, we groan under our burden, because we wish not to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life,” (5:4). Certainly, in other texts where he lists the severe hardships and terrible suffering because of his witness for Christ, he admits that “we were so utterly, unbearably crushed that we despaired of life itself,” (2 Corinthians 1:8). It was not all joy in the Lord all the time.

But now I no longer think that Paul was giving up. The holy destination of God’s kingdom coming on earth as it is in heaven was inspiring him to press forward and onward “for we walk by faith, not by sight,” (5:7). Even though it was frustrating to have to go through all those airport checks it was leading me to my destination. Along the way, I needed to handle the barriers, questions and issues with grace, patience and forbearance (and it wasn’t easy for me!).  I trusted that as I worked my way through the process, it would enable me to arrive at my destination and it turned out it was worth every irritating minute. “So whether we are home or away, we make it our aim to please him,” (5:9). That seems to be true in more ways than one.

Paul traveled extensively. He had many destinations. Some gave him great joy. Some gave him great pain. Through it all he persevered, endured, trusted, had faith, hoped and found that even in the most physical of trials, “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us,” (Romans 8: 37).

And perhaps, I get what Paul is saying because now that I am back here in Ontario with the threat of a nasty winter storm tonight I too would rather be in that “garden of Eden” in Palm Harbor.  But until the next time or until then there is work, witness, mission, living for Christ and people to love and care for, that will keep me going.

But dang it, I really would love to be sitting under that palm tree, right now.


Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment