Wednesday, March 8, 2017


Wednesday, March 8, 2017 

                A couple of weeks ago, I was at the drive-thru at McDonalds. They had been advertising the “Big Mac with Bacon” combo on TV. Who can resist bacon?  So, I ordered the combo, only to be told that this promotion was no longer available, but I could order a Big Mac and add the bacon. Huh!?

                The Kingdom of God is not like this:

                Excuse me, but I would like a faith system that has all the fixings which will help me to make a real difference in my life and the world around me.

Sorry sir, but we can offer you a nice church but the extras are… well, extra… they will cost you.

                What do you mean extras? Like what?

                Well, for starters – Jesus.

                Jesus is an extra?

                Of course, we can’t just give Jesus away, you know. Oh, he used to be in the whole package but we found that he doesn’t come cheaply. So, we took him out.

                You took out Jesus?

                We discovered that some of our customers couldn’t afford the deluxe package with Jesus in it. So, we downsized and now just offer the basics but it comes with a life-time warrantee of a warm, fuzzy feeling of community.

                What else comes with the basics?

                Church offering envelopes.

                Pardon?

                Sorry sir, it’s an inside joke.

                But I think I want a church with Jesus included.

                Then indeed, you will be wanting the deluxe package. But you will need to fill out this club membership form, and sign the waver agreement that if something goes wrong, we are not responsible.

                What could go wrong?

                Just between you and me, sir, we have had a number of customers complain that the deluxe package with Jesus has a few bugs in it. I really shouldn’t be telling you this but the Jesus model isn't as compatible with some people's old operating systems as much as we here at McChurch Inc. would like.

                What do you mean bugs?

                The whole Jesus deluxe package seems susceptible to a love-bug. It has been known to cause people to act irrationally. We are still trying to work the flaws out of the system. It is quite annoying if not caught early enough.

                Sounds serious.

                Oh, it is, sir. Very serious. People have been returning these packages by the droves.

                I see. I think I will take my chances with the Jesus deluxe package. What’s the final cost?

                Your life, sir.

                Jesus called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?  Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? (Mark 8: 34 -37) 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment