Wednesday, November 21, 2018


Wednesday, November 21, 2018
“But love will last forever!”  (1 Corinthians 13: 8) 

                And they said it wouldn’t last…

                On the weekend Susan and I celebrated our 40TH wedding anniversary.  Yeah, I can hear some of you wondering how she has put up with me for so long. Believe me when I say that I sometimes wonder that myself.

                We rented a very large, century house in Goderich for the weekend. All our adult children joined us for some of the time, at least. Being surrounded by our children and two of the four grandkids made us realize just how much has happened in our 40 years.

                We were married in Walmer Road Baptist Church in Toronto. Susan remembers the weather being rain showers while I remember snow flurries. She was fifteen minutes late – but worth every minute of the wait, I should add, quickly. Her father, Bruce Neal, did the honours of tying the knot. We drove to New Orleans for our honeymoon where I could indulge myself in my love of jazz music.     

In forty years, a lot has happened. I am not much for nostalgia but memories do begin to flood in. My first church was in Wainfleet, Ontario where I was ordained. The journey with Susan begins there. It is journey which has taken us to Montreal, Ottawa, Brantford and Peterborough. Susan has been wonderfully understanding whenever I got the wanderlust as she is more of a roots and stability kind of person and I thrive on change and chaos. She once described me as the sort of person who, whenever things are running smoothly and going well, will shake things up just for the fun of it.

                Forty years. Raising four great children and now watching them as they raise our four grandsons. Rental cottages in Ontario.  Family trip to the Maritimes. Vacations in Nova Scotia. Little did we know when we joined forces what the future would bring. It hasn’t been all sunshine and roses, of course, but together and with much love, trust and courage we have few complaints and much to thank God for.

                I know that I couldn’t have done any of it without Susan. Nor would it have been as much fun, joyful and successful. By and large we have been greatly blessed.

                Of course, the journey continues and I can’t wait to see what happens next. Our large family is never dull, I can say that much!

                First Corinthians 13 is often used at weddings. Truly, it is a masterpiece of writing. It sets forth a model of love based on God’s Love (Agape). “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4 -7)

                Sometimes we test the limits of such love in our lives and relationships. Sadly, sometimes love gets lost in pain, abuse, hurt and anger.  But even so, love can be such strong stuff - an energy, a power, a resource which keeps us together. Love can be thrilling and dynamic. But it can also be a steady, calming force which fills in the gaps, build bridges in the hard times, and channels the rough waters into streams and pools from which to draw.  Love is a gift, a treasure and a necessity for rich, healthy, future-oriented and sustainable living. We all need it, deserve it, pine for it and celebrate it when we find it, however we find it.

                Like Paul said, “I will show you a still more excellent way.” (1 Corinthians 12:31) 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment