Wednesday, February 13, 2019


Wednesday, February 13, 2019
“Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread and fish to the disciples so they could distribute it to the people.” (Luke 9:16, New Living Translation)

                Recently, I finished an “adult” version of a Lego set which I had received for Christmas. Well, the box claimed it was for ages 12 and up, so I certainly qualify. It was 2049 pieces altogether, some pieces so small that they were about a quarter of the size of the nail of my pinky finger. The instruction booklet alone was 278 pages, painstakingly taking me through each bit of construction, piece by piece, step by step. There were seven stages, each stage coming in 2 or 3 plastic bags, each bag clearly marked as for what stage it was for. I did a stage a day, taking about 2 to 3 hours per each.

                The end result was an old fishing store named Anton’s Bait Shop. There was some amazing detail to the store, both inside and out. There were four Lego characters.  Working from the base up  I had to put together every inch of the shop. There were little tiny lobsters for the crates and sitting on little plastic pieces for ice. There were crabs and seagulls, a cat, fishing poles, life preservers, tools, money even, and on and on.  A whole wall comes open or the roof comes off to reveal the insides of the store. The design is quite ingenious. It was sometimes challenging for my arthritic hands to handle some of the smaller pieces or manage to fit them in to some very tight places. I used tweezers when I could.

                When I first looked at all the pieces, the size of the instruction manual or the smallness of what I was dealing with, it felt a little overwhelming and daunting. But I got it done. There were no missing pieces. In fact, the kit gave me extras of many of the smallest pierces (at least, I hope they were extra!)

                I am never, ever taking it apart! It will be passed on to my children and my grandchildren to fight over!

                I can hardly blame the disciples’ skepticism and reluctance when Jesus challenged them to feed the crowd of over 5000 people to whom Jesus had just finished speaking and healing. That is a lot of pieces of humanity who were tired and hungry.  The disciples had urged Jesus to send them all away to fend for themselves, “for we are in a deserted place.” Right away, our ears should perk up - a wilderness is almost always a sign that God is going to do something special.

                We always seem to make excuses when faced with a daunting and challenging project. “Let the pastor do it.” “Let the government do it.” “Find someone else to take care of it.” “It’s not my job.” “I don’t know how.” “It’s too hard.” “I’m busy!” “We don’t have the resources or the money to do it.” The disciples were no different when Jesus told them to feed everybody: “But we have only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered. “Or are you expecting us to go and buy enough food for this whole crowd?” (Luke 9:13, NLT)

                Their cold calculations didn’t add up to the challenge they faced.  But Jesus did not give up and abandon the project of providing a meal. He poured himself into the venture. Were 5000 people a number too big? He couldn’t and wouldn’t ignore them. “He took the five loaves and two fish, lifted his face to heaven in prayer, blessed, broke, and gave the bread and fish to the disciples to hand out to the crowd.” (Luke 9:16, The Message Bible)

                The pieces of bread and fish came together to make a full meal, , enough to feed every single person on that hill, a foreshadowing of the abundant life that will be part of the New Reality (i.e. the Kingdom) that is yet to come. “Give us our daily bread.” Feed me ‘til I want no more. And make sure my neighbour gets fed too, as much or more than I am fed.  There are enough pieces for everyone.

                In fact, there is more, extra, left-overs, additional bits and pieces that will feed us not only today but tomorrow as well.

                Imagine that!

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment