Wednesday, February 6, 2019


Wednesday, February 6, 2019
“But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.” (Matthew 7:14, New Living Translation)


                My GPS failed me! Just when I needed it, it let me down.

                There we were on a Saturday night, headed to the Keg restaurant in Oakville to take Susan’s Mom and Dad out for dinner to celebrate my father-in-law’s birthday. I had studied my Google maps before we left and I thought I knew how to find the restaurant. But I obviously hadn’t remembered what I thought I had seen – some road just south, off of Dundas St.  I was in the area but I had not yet found the right road, even after a couple of pass-bys where I was almost sure it was supposed to be.

                So I stopped on a side street to consult with my trusty Google maps on my cell phone and discovered, to my dismay, that it wouldn’t download properly. I still couldn’t find my way. It gave me a blank screen and then told me that it couldn’t connect me to the app. How frustrating.

                We ended up eating at another restaurant and had a great time just the same. All’s well that ends well.

                My kids laugh at my poor tech know-how. So, I took the phone in to my provider. It turns out that the location finder was not activated. Who knew I had a location finder button? She did this and then that and in less than 30 seconds I was connected.

                There is a parable in this experience I suspect. Or at least a metaphor or two.

                In our text Jesus has reminded us that it is not as easy as we may think to achieve that level of life which is full of love, grace, harmony and shalom as we think. Some people make very poor choices and may end up lost and confused and wondering why their moral compass has mislead them.

Some chase down dead-ends and take detours. Some start out on the best road  but are easily distracted and head off in other directions.

Some think that they have the right direction all figured out and then hit a bump in the road, have an accident or find themselves at the side of the road and wonder when and why it all went wrong.

Some keep trying to find their way but stubbornly never stop to ask for the proper directions and waste their time and end up elsewhere than what they had intended.

                It is a little disappointing or discouraging to hear Jesus say that few of us ever actually find the real, deep, meaningful, purposeful, joyful source of Life, both now and everlasting.  But I don’t think he means for us to give up either. Afterall he also said, “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7)  

The Good Life that we seek may take some careful navigation in order to make the right and best choices to get ourselves on the right road and then stay the course.  We will have to trust the coordinates that Jesus has set out for us with his directions for love, forgiveness, mercy, compassion, truth, justice and all forms of righteousness.

“Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.” (Psalm 143:8, NLT)


Dale

               

No comments:

Post a Comment