Wednesday, May 29, 2019


Wednesday, May 29, 2019
“Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.” (Psalm 100:1, New Revised Standard) 

                Keep it down out there, would ya! 

                Last week, my son-in-law, Gary, treated me to a baseball game in Toronto, an afternoon game. He parked in his favourite parking garage, a five-minute walk or so to the stadium. As we hit the street, I was almost physically overwhelmed by the cacophonous noise of the “big city”. The sounds of construction, constant traffic, machinery and so many people flooded my auditory senses with a tangible overload. It was such a sharp and discordant contrast to my quiet, little, reclusive life here in Peterborough. I can sit outside and the biggest “noise” might be the mourning doves cooing or a cardinal whistling or a car occasionally going by or the odd lawnmower now and then.  The little dog who lives behind us and yaps all the time – well, don’t bet me started on it. But, really, not much to complain about. 

                I have inherited my mother’s aversion to noise, especially big or constant noise. Sudden crashes send me up the wall and put my nerves on edge. Noisy rooms give me a sense of claustrophobia and anxiety.  I have always lived in a quiet environment, even growing up. 

                When Susan and I started dating, it was quite an experience to sit around the dining room table with her four younger siblings and parents. The noise of all sorts of happy, exited conversations taking place, seemingly all at once, was daunting for me, at first. Mind you, now with our own four children  and grandchildren we are just as noisy and rambunctious, maybe more so. I love it but it still sometimes overwhelms me. 

                Somewhere, somewhen, Christian worship became a sedate, orderly routine – conducted with calm dignity, composure, serenity and respectful ways. Everything had its liturgical place and deviations were few and far between. Heaven forbid, if anything intruded on that staid and sober order of worship. 

                Over the last 30 years or so, the introduction of drums, guitars, saxophones and so-called “contemporary” music has set worship experiences on its ear. Not everyone has adjusted. I remember one man insisting that the use of guitars and drums was the work of the devil. I have had people in my congregations wanting to ban applause during worship services. People have threatened to leave the church if we have “that kind of music.”    
            
                But the fact is that this isn’t contemporary at all. Scripture calls for exuberance, liveliness, passion, excitement in forms of worship and praise. “Sing! Beat the tambourine. Play the sweet lyre and the harp” (Psalm 81:2, New Living Translation).  Worship was about sound, movement, flow, rhythms, dancing, moving with the beat.  “I walked among the crowds of worshipers, leading a great procession to the house of God, singing for joy and giving thanks amid the sound of a great celebration!” (Psalm 42:4)                

                There are times for silences and quiet reflection, but hardy or robust worship comes with a lot of noise, the sounds of trumpets and rams’ horns. “Come, everyone! Clap your hands! Shout to God with joyful praise!” (Psalm 47:1, NLT) 

                Our faith is something that should be bursting for holistic expression. Our delight in our God who loves us should be given full-bodied voice. “With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God.” (Psalm 84: 2, NLT) 

                Some one may tell you to pipe down during worship, they’re trying to catch up on their rest or sleep, but others want to “shout to the Lord, all the earth; break out in praise and sing for joy!” (Psalm 98:4, NLT) 

                Go for it!
Dale




No comments:

Post a Comment