Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

“Carelessly call a brother ‘idiot!’ and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell ‘stupid!’ at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill.” (Matthew 5: 22, The Message Bible)

                 C’mon Jesus. You’re killing me here.

                How else am I to describe and deal with those folk who are protesting against masks and vaccines, especially outside hospitals, if I can’t use words like idiots, fools, jackasses, stupid, thoughtless, careless, selfish, etc.? You know that I don’t suffer fools gladly – these folk and their ignorance are driving me crazy.

                “The wise are glad to be instructed, but babbling fools fall flat on their faces.” (Proverbs 10:8, New Living Translation) Words to live by! “The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense.” (Proverbs 10:21, NLT) Gotta love that book of Proverbs!

                Jesus, you called some of your opponents “snakes and vipers” so please cut me some slack if I call these bunch of dumb-dumbs for what they are: complete idiots.

                No, eh?

                Sticks and stones, I suppose.

                Jesus could be tough on some of his opponents but he also understood the power of thoughtless and careless words. The wrong sorts of words can become barriers instead of bridges. Hurtful words break down rather than build up. Mean-spirited words tear apart rather than mend. Cruel words leave scars rather than soothe.  I know this to be true even though I have always been too quick-tempered, sarcastic and impatient when dealing with those who resisted my leadership. Anger has always been just around the corner.

                Words are too often used in retaliation when they should be used in Love, Grace, Forgiveness and Compassion, some of the key traits of being a “fool for Christ.” Be gracious even if the face of opposition, name-calling, slander and the like. Turn the other cheek. Love your enemies. Pray for those who persecute you. Don’t become the persecutor!

                Jesus’ words are very clear. There is no ambiguity.

                Paul, of course echoes Jesus. “Forget about deciding what’s right for each other. Here’s what you need to be concerned about: that you don’t get in the way of someone else, making life more difficult than it already is. I’m convinced—Jesus convinced me!—that everything as it is in itself is holy. We, of course, by the way we treat it or talk about it, can contaminate it.” (Romans 14:13 – 14, The Message Bible)

                Our ill-conceived words can become a stumbling block, a toxic way to contaminate our relationships with family and friends or the Body of Crist, the church. Hold our tongues. You know the old saying, “Better to be thought a fool and then speak and remove all doubt.”

                “Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, ‘How can I help?’” (Romans 15: 2, The Message)

                Not “You fool!” but “How can I help?”

                I’ll do my best, Lord - give me strength.

 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment