Wednesday, September 8, 2021

 Wednesday, September 8, 2021

“This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118: 24, New Living Translation).

                "This is the best day ever!”

                Thus spoke my five-year-old grandson, Spencer, as he excitedly anticipated going back to school for Senior Kindergarten, yesterday.

                Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t recall ever thinking that going back to school was up there in the “best day ever” category, especially high school for me. But it’s cool that Spencer really enjoys it.

Last year’s school year was a ragged thing at best, fueled by the uncertainly of Covid. I expect that a lot of parents are more nervous than their children about the safety of sending their children back to school. But then again, maybe it is for some parents the “best day ever”, after several months of them always being in the house. I always enjoyed that commercial that used the song “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” as the parent shopped for school supplies.

“It’s the best day ever.”

This  is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118 is an all-out expression of utter confidence and assurance in experiencing the Love of God.  “O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His steadfast love endures forever.” (v.1, NLT) There are enough clues to suggest that he may not even be having a “good day”, as he thinks about the stresses, distresses, troublesome people, all of which for many of us might make us declare that today was a lousy day. But not this psalmist: “I was right on the cliff-edge, ready to fall, when God grabbed and held me.” (v.13, The Message Bible)

The Lord’s intervention in his life is so strong that he lifts his voice in praise, expressing his gratitude and joy that despite what life is throwing at him, the Lord is with him and the psalmist will not be overcome but rise victorious. “Thank you for responding to me; you’ve truly become my salvation!” v.21, The Message)

Best day ever!

This is not simply pious naivete.  The writer is quite aware of the world he lives in and its faults and its impact upon him personally. His declaration that nevertheless he is going to rejoice in the day’s creation is an act of courage, faithfulness, trust, defiance, hope and joy. Whatever else the day holds God is still at work in it; God’s Love will prevail. “I didn’t die. I lived! And now I’m telling the world what God did. God tested me, he pushed me hard, but he didn’t hand me over to Death.” (v.17, The Message)

I didn’t die. Best day ever!

We can look at the day’s events and experiences and feel discouraged, fearful, hopeless, stressed, angry or overwhelmed. But rather than wallowing in our despair, there is an alternative. We rise to our feet and claim God’s Love that it transcends and transforms  even the worst of days into New Creation, into delivery out of the chaos, into the rescue of God’s Salvation and Redemption.

“This is God’s work. We rub our eyes—we can hardly believe it! This is the very day God acted - let’s celebrate and be festive! Salvation now, God. Salvation now!  Oh yes, God—a free and full life!” (Vss. 23 -24, The Message)

Best Day Ever!

 Dale

 

No comments:

Post a Comment