Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

“Let me set this before you as plainly as I can. If a person climbs over or through the fence of a sheep pen instead of going through the gate, you know he’s up to no good—a sheep rustler! The shepherd walks right up to the gate. The gatekeeper opens the gate to him and the sheep recognize his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he gets them all out, he leads them and they follow because they are familiar with his voice. They won’t follow a stranger’s voice but will scatter because they aren’t used to the sound of it.”  (John 10: 3 -5, The Message Bible)

                I can remember back in my childhood days the ads in my comic books that were on the back cover. There were X-rays glasses, sea monkeys, joy buzzers, dribble cups, and other magic tricks. There was an ad featuring a muscular bully kicking sand in the face of some skinny wimp which promised that if one used their exercise programme, you could turn yourself into a muscle-bound hero and turn the tables on the bully.

               The ad that intrigued me the most was the one which promised to teach me to “throw my voice.” I have always been a sucker for a good ventriloquist act. I took books out of the library on ventriloquism. I even wanted my own ventriloquist dummy. I never did.  I grew up with a huge crush on Shari Lewis with Lambchop and Charlie Horse. Today, I really enjoy Jeff Dunham and his cast of characters. Throwing my voice had an allure.

                What spurred this trip down memory lane was a story that I read just this morning about an old-time baseball player who could throw his voice.  Back in the late 1800’s, there was a pitcher by the name of Jack "Waddy" Wadsworth. (No, grand-kids, I don’t remember him.) He wasn’t a very good pitcher but he excelled in the ability to throw his voice. He was so good that he would use his “gift” from the dugout and get other players, usually up-to-bat, in trouble with the umpires. Wadsworth made it appear that the innocent player was saying something derogatory about the ump who would then throw the player out of the game. Wadsworth must have been really good or the umpires were really dumb. Either way it worked many a time until they all finally cottoned onto Wadsworth skill to throw his voice.

                Voices are thrown at us in many ways. There are so many voices in our world which clamor for attention. We are inundated with voices from all sorts of sources including TV, social media, magazines trying to convince us to buy what they are selling.  The voices of conspiracy theories are tantalizing, and convince many people despite their absurdity. The voices that shame body shapes, age, looks, etc. are little if any better. Voices that ridicule, judge or condemn people based on race, sexuality, gender, and the like are misleading and hateful. Not all the voices are as bad as all that, but like Wadsworth proved, false voices can get us into trouble.

                Our text from John’s Gospel reminds us not to follow a stranger’s voice. They are the voices who want to steal our faith, our authenticity, our integrity and lure us away from the safety of the Shepherd’s fold. They are false voices, thrown in our way, to lead us down crooked paths. Stranger, Danger!

                Rather, we capable of recognizing the Master’s Voice.  We hear him call us by name. The false voices care nothing for our names or our identities. But the Good Shepherd knows us each by name and he is the one who leads us into green pastures and by still waters. “Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.” (Psalm 23: 4, TMB) This Voice is trustworthy, consistent, dependable and focused on leading us on the paths of righteousness, love, grace, forgiveness and peace.

                “My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind.” (John 10: 27 30, TMB)

                So, let’s not be somebody else’s dummy. Instead, let us be a conduit for the Voice of Jesus and follow the authentic message that calls us to live a good life of faith and trust.

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment