Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

“Notice what large letters I use as I write these closing words in my own handwriting.” (Galatians 6:11, New Living Translation)

               NOTE TO SELF: Next time I preach, please ensure that I use 12-font instead of 11 for my sermon manuscript.

                I don’t think that I have preached a sermon since before Covid. So, I was delighted to be asked to preach last Sunday at the little Baptist church in Fenelon Falls. I have always used the 11-font size of print to write my sermons. It read fine at home. But when I got into the pulpit and the manuscript was a little farther away from my eyes, it was a bit of a struggle to follow the words as I preached. Sigh! Another sign of growing older. But I refuse to go any higher than 12-font; maybe 14, 16 at tops.

                My personal theory that Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” (2 Corinthians 12:7) may have been a serious sight impediment. After his Damascus Road experience when he lost his eyesight, I wonder if poor eyesight became an ongoing issue for him even though he was healed. He prayed that he be relieved of his condition. But he also learned to accept the reality of his handicap whatever it may have been. “Then he (Jesus) told me, ‘My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.’ Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.” (2 Corinthians 12: 8 -10, The Message Bible)

                If I take those words and match them with our text from Galatians, where he is commenting that he has written some of the letter himself, instead of his secretary, even with big, bold handwriting, I do wonder whether his eyesight was an issue for him.

                Be that as it may, in this age of emails, Facebook, Twitter et al., letter writing has fallen into disarray. We are in danger of losing that special, personal, highly relational vibe that a handwritten letter used to give. I am terrible at reading emails on a regular basis. We use Messenger to keep in touch with our immediate family. Our church, Yorkminster Park B.C. contacts us by email. No doubt, Paul himself would use these communication vehicles if he were practicing his ministry today. But then, we might not have his New Testament letters as we do have them today. Real letters are harder to delete. They are worth saving.

                “We are writing to God’s holy people in the city of Colosse, who are faithful brothers and sisters in Christ. May God our Father give you grace and peace.” (Colossians 1:2, NLT)

                Paul pours his heart out to his churches through his letters. In some cases, they are love letters. He could praise his people; he could be stern and critical; he could be an encourager; he could be a defender of the faith; he could call out opponents and challenge his critics. His letters have shaped Christianity throughout the ages. “Our letters have been straightforward, and there is nothing written between the lines and nothing you can’t understand. I hope someday you will fully understand us, even if you don’t understand us now. Then on the day when the Lord Jesus returns, you will be proud of us in the same way we are proud of you.”

                It is meaningful and touching, then, when Paul writes that the local church (in Corinth) is itself a letter. “Your very lives are a letter that anyone can read by just looking at you. Christ himself wrote it—not with ink, but with God’s living Spirit; not chiseled into stone, but carved into human lives—and we publish it.” (1 Corinthians 3: 2 -2, TMB) The people’ faith are a living testimony to the work of the Gospel both in their lives and in their actions.  It is more than just words of faith but deeds of faith. They don’t just talk a good faith; they live it out.  “Regarding life together and getting along with each other, you don’t need me to tell you what to do. You’re God-taught in these matters. Just love one another! You’re already good at it... Keep it up; get better and better at it.” (1 Thessalonians 4: 9, TMB)

                You are a Love letter. Put your signature on a life that exudes the Love of Jesus Christ. Have Christ be your co-signer. Dot your “i’s”; cross your “ “t’s” and fill the “page” with the details of a life well-spent for Christ.

The bolder, the bigger the font size, the better!

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment