Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

“Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders. Don’t miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.” (Colossians 4: 5 -6, The Message Bible)

                Make the most of every opportunity.

                Since I retired several years ago, I sometimes wonder whether I have been making the most of every opportunity.  There seems to be a vast, out-of-proportion sitting in my big, blue recliner with my nose stuck in a computer or occasionally in a book. But for a few rare moments, i.e., when called to fill-in as a hospital chaplain or preach somewhere or maybe this blog, I can’t say that I have been contributing much to the welfare of the world around me. My well-worn, all-too-comfortable, blue recliner calls to me. Its siren call is very alluring. Sloth – thy name is Laz-y-Boy.

                Making the most of every opportunity is challenging.

                Jesus told parables about the necessity for being alert and ready for opportunities to serve. “Be dressed for service and keep your lamps burning…” (Luke 12:35, New Living Translation) According to these stories, it is up to each of us to be alert, prepared, ready and able to respond to the sudden and surprising appearance of the Messiah in our world. You never know when or where he might show up, “as though you were waiting for your master to return from the wedding feast. Then you will be ready to open the door and let him in the moment he arrives and knocks.” (Luke 12: 36, NLT)

                Indeed, his well-known parable about the sheep and the goats in Matthew’s Gospel helps us to understand what making the most of every opportunity is all about while alerting us to his Messianic presence.

                “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.’

“Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’” (Matthew 25: 34 -26, TMB)

                Jesus  Christ appears, not only just at the End of the Story, but he shows up wherever there is an opportunity to do good in this world. Jesus shows up, not in his glimmering, Sunday-go-to meeting, white-robed Jesus’ clothes, but in in his rugged, practical, everyday, work clothes, calling us to join him in his Kingdom work.

                Right now, truth be told, my service is “looking after” Susan while we live with the challenge of her cancer. She is doing quite well, all things considered, no pain, and her meds seem to have slowed down any progress.  It’s a loving joy to serve her.

                What opportunity do you have to serve the Lord? It doesn’t have to be big, glamourous, showy or life-changing. “And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded.” (Matthew 10:42, NLT) I fill up Susan’s glass of water every night before she goes to bed. No biggie – but it helps.

                Look, there’s Jesus now. “So, let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.” (Galatians 6:10, TMB)

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment