Wednesday, October 4, 2023

 Wednesday, October 4, 2023

“And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Ephesians 5: 20, New Living Translation) 

               Along the line of smoky hills
               The crimson forest stands,
               And all the day the blue-jay calls
               Throughout the autumn lands.

                If you are close to my generation, it is very likely that you were taught this poem in elementary school. Probably, you had to memorize it. I know that I did. 

                Now by the brook the maple leans
                With all his glory spread,
                And all the sumachs on the hills
                Have turned their green to red.
 

                The poem came to mind as we were driving to our daughter’s home on Sunday. The sun was shining and the Fall colours were gorgeous. The reds and oranges were especially vivid. And like the poem iterates, the sumac alongside of the road had turned to a deep crimson red. We took a more scenic route just to revel in the colours of a balmy Autumn afternoon.

                This time of year evokes our praise and thanksgiving. Thanksgiving weekend is upon us just at the right time. It has been a challenging summer for us, but just the same, I feel the need to let it go, for a while anyway, and find strength and hope in an attitude of thanksgiving. I may not be a farmer who has brought in a bumper crop from the fields, but I have experienced a harvest of good things from the world and mostly from the people, family and friends, who surround me.

                I could complain, I suppose; criticize, protest, fuss, whine, even despair but to what avail? And yet, sometimes, I do. Where is that going to get me?  Rather, I would be like the Psalmist: "The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”  (Psalm 28:7, NLT)

                There are so many who are worse off than I am or ever will be. Yet I have seen joy and thanksgiving well up from these people. I remember a homeless man who showed up at the Christmas meal at the Mission in Ottawa. He started telling us how grateful and fortunate he was that he had a roof over his head for the night, a great meal and a pair of new socks. He abounded in thanksgiving. It was stunning! “Everything God created is good, and to be received with thanks. Nothing is to be sneered at and thrown out. God’s Word and our prayers make every item in creation holy.” (1 Timothy 4: 5, The  Message Bible)

                Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord.” (Philippians 3:1, NLT) To me, rejoicing is another way of saying ‘Be thankful.’  Thanksgiving in the face of adversity is a defiant, bold, counter-intuitive act. Such thanksgiving indicates that we have put our trust in God and we won’t be defeated; we won’t give up; we won’t give in to despair and hopelessness. It is more than just counting our blessings but a courageous  declaration of faith and  conviction.

                “Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death?...   No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.” (Romans 8: 35 -37, NLT)

                And for this reality and truth, I am truly and deeply thankful.  May you be also, this Thanksgiving.

Dale

 

No comments:

Post a Comment