Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

“Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.” (Ephesians 5:2, New Living Translation)

                 When the world ends, it would seem that we will all look very pretty with clean hair  and smell even nicer if my recent shopping trip to the drug store means anything.

                Susan needed some new shampoo as part of my shopping list.  She asked for a particular brand-name. It is mind-boggling that a whole aisle is given over to hair products. Over half of that is given over to various makes of shampoos. Apparently, humankind is obsessed about their hair. There are specific shampoos for every hair style, every hair colour, every hair condition and more. Dozens and dozens. Just to wash one’s hair.

                I had to ask a floor-clerk for help to find the brand I was looking for. But then, I discovered that there were almost a dozen different scents to choose from in this brand alone. Yikes! It is a big responsibility to have to decide what one wants his wife to smell like. Au naturel (sounds dangerous). Heavenly (seemed appropriate for a minister’s wife).  Wildflower. Cherry. Tropical. Blush (what does blush smell like? I’m afraid to find out.) My favourite – sweetie.  In the end, I got her plain, old regular. I like the way my wife smells now, as is, thank you very much.

                The apostle Paul makes a few references to the sweet smell of Christianity. “Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life.” (2 Corinthians 2:16, The Message Bible). Paul also says it is a scent that not everyone enjoys. And I will admit, sadly, that sometimes the Church stinks at doing what it should be doing - loving and acting in and through that Love of Christ. But I digress…

                I am not sure that I know what Love smells like, anymore than I know what “blush” smells like. But Paul suggests that it is akin to the aroma of sacrifice. Not bulls or lambs, but the sacrifices which comes from good works, which arise through our efforts of service and stewardship, through our works for peace and justice, through acts of compassion and human kindness.

                “Should I bring an armload of offerings topped off with yearling calves? Would God be impressed with thousands of rams, with buckets and barrels of olive oil? Would he be moved if I sacrificed my firstborn child, my precious baby, to cancel my sin? But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love. And don’t take yourself too seriously- take God seriously.”  (Micah 6: 7 -8, TMB)

                Paul says much the same in 1 Corinthians 13, “If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.” (v. 3, TMB)

                Without Love, we just stink up the joint.

                Paul wrote about the very practical gifts that the church in Philippi sent him while he was in prison. “The gifts you sent with Epaphroditus were more than enough, like a sweet-smelling sacrifice roasting on the altar, filling the air with fragrance, pleasing God to no end. You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus.” (Philippians 4: 18 -20, TMBN)

                People around us should be able to breathe in the sweet-smelling fragrance of Christ’s Love as we live in his Name. Not the bitter smells of hatred, judgment, exclusion, hypocrisy, arrogance, superiority but we should aim to give off the pleasant aroma of Love in our words, deeds, attitudes and behaviour.

                Smell you later!

 Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment