Wednesday, May 23, 2018


Wednesday, May 23, 2018 

“With this news, strengthen those who have tired hands and encourage those who have weak knees.” (Isaiah 35:3, NLT) 

                 I am hoping that praying from one’s knees is not a mandatory condition for getting God’s attention. If so I am in deep trouble.

                I attempted some gardening this past weekend – not much, just in the front flower beds. I planted 3 hostas, 10 large germaniums and 24 impatiens. And I have discovered that getting down on my knees is a tricky and aching enterprise. But it’s nothing compared to getting back up – a crane would have been helpful.  My two, artificial knees don’t cooperate like they used to. (I just had a horrible thought -  do artificial knees make my prayers less real even if I could kneel!?)

                I suppose I could complain about the arthritis in my tired hands, too, but then I would really sound like an old fogey. Too late?  I recall that 40 years ago, on the May long weekend Susan and I went to my parents’ home in Belleville and helped them do the planting in their flower gardens. (Hey, my beloved children - Hint! Hint!) It was also that same weekend that I got down on my knees (figuratively speaking) and proposed to Susan. I had no knee issues way back then!

                Perhaps, biblical references to “weak knees” symbolizes a person’s faith which has become exhausted under trying circumstances. It may signify a person’s doubts amid trials and tribulations. It may speak to our human stubbornness to bend a knee to God because we are angry and hurt.  In our text from Isaiah the people have been seemingly abandoned in exile and they toil and labour and bend a knee to a foreign power. Their prayers have fallen on the closed ears of their God.

                But then, in the midst of such a heavy burden which has buckled knees, there comes a fresh promise of good news on the horizon! Hope is reborn.  Promises are made.  Life is returning. Joy is found again. The people will be freed from their oppressors and return home. “God will come and save you.” (Isaiah35:4).

The poetic words are bold, daring and audacious under the circumstances of the people’s lost and desperate condition: “And when God comes, God will open the eyes of the blind and unplug the ears of the deaf. The lame will leap like a deer, and those who cannot speak will sing for joy! Springs will gush forth in the wilderness, and streams will water the wasteland.”

                This is the news that will strengthen tired hands and weak knees.  “Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return. They will enter Jerusalem singing, crowned with everlasting joy. Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness.” (Isiah 35:10)

                This message of Good News works for you and me, too.  In its light we are emboldened to wait in anticipation and expectation for God to help move us forward into his future and be embraced by his Vison. We are encouraged not to give up or give in but hold fast, endure, and have patience for God is not yet done.  We are given renewed strength so that we “will soar high on wings like eagles… run and not grow weary… walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)

                “So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.” (Hebrews 12:12 NLT) 

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment